Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yet Another Use for Full Duplex

Options
KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I recently added CW keying to my TeensyMaestro using the Flex TCP/IP API for remote operation. I assume that I am doing it the same or a similar way as the Maestro does (that is just a guess...) so this might be applicable to Maestro owners who operate remotely and wonder about their keying quality over a poor link.

I discovered when keying over the LAN, I had to add 30 ms of delay to prevent choppy CW. This week when I was operating remotely from one of my mountain fishing spots, I had to set it up to 100 ms to get clean keying. My cell hotspot barely works at this location, so I thought I should check to see if the 30 ms would be adequate (it wasn't).

To check on my keying, I went to a quiet band, opened a second panadapter and put slices A and B on the same freq ( CW, of course...). I set my RF power to 1 on ANT 1 of Slice A (TX) and RX A on Slice B. I then turned on FDX and keyed the rig over the WAN (not with CWX). I kept increasing the Delay until I got clean CW, then added a bit more for safety.

Full Duplex is a really useful tool for setting transmit parameters (like CW Delay) because it lets you hear your signals directly over the air. In my case, since I was away from my shack and spare receivers, I could do everything remotely and get a definitive answer on my keying quality.

I am guessing that setting the Delay to a higher value, gives more time for my 6400 to buffer up key on and key off API commands. Since a time stamp is part of the "key" command, the radio can reconstruct the CW accurately using the timing sent by the TeensyMaestro. Maybe Tim or Mike can confirm (or deny) that this is how it works.

This little exercise makes me keenly aware of just how difficult it is to make a real-time, timing-critical mode like CW work over non-real-time media like the Internet. It is counter intuitive that our simplest mode (CW) is so difficult to get right remotely.

Note that using CWX to transmit over the Internet is a different animal. It sends ASCII characters which are then translated to CW by the radio. Dots and dashes are essentially perfectly timed, and the only delays that may occur are between letters.

Comments

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    Options

Which Delay are you adjusting?

The CW Delay? (which adds delay after you stop sending before returning to Receive)

or the TX Delay? (that adds a delay BEFORE sending any RF out after the PTT or CW Key has been pressed)

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ken,

CW Delay.

I use the key 1 API command to key the rig and key 0 to unkey (with the time stamp and other parameters, of course...).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.