Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tune Button

Dennis Wage
Dennis Wage Member ✭✭
Tune button should not key the amp. I have to have a separate transmit profile for tuning. It works but it adds a step.
Who tunes with their amp keyed?
DW
6 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dennis, I agree. I would like to see it as an option in the TX Band Settings dialog box so that you could have it either way by band.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

Who tunes with their amp keyed?

It depends of whether you mean ATU tuning or use of the Tune button. But as the question is posed, yes I do. I use the Tune button to set the TRI scale on my Acom amp to aid its change to a new band.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2021

Some amps like the Acom 2000a and Alpha 87a require a carrier for the amp to tune. And the tuning of the amp changes depending on carrier level applied, so tuning an Acom 2000a at 10 watts then operating at 40 watts drive is not as efficient as tuning it at 40 watt carrier.

Since there are different scenarios for using the tune function there is no “right” choice (TX1 bypass vs enabled). Your idea of having a setting to choose the behavior of the tune button has merit.

Dave wo2x

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Dave,

I have several Harris RF-601a military antenna couplers that require 150 watts carrier to auto tune. To do this requires the amplifier to be keyed to supply enough RF power. To keep the SWR below 3:1 to preclude rollback or tripping, a three db pad must be switched into the transmission line until tuning is complete. It is then switched out for operation at 1.5 KW. These couplers will tune a 35 foot whip from 2-30 MHz and were rated by the Navy at 1KW continuous. They are overbuilt, low loss, and probably can take 10KW for reasonable mismatches.

I need the key line to work with the tune button.

Bill Hickey

AB7AA

• Dennis Wage
    Dennis Wage Member ✭✭
    I meant ATU tuning and also agree that the on/off option per band is best.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@Bill AB7AA

you could do this with two external coax relays and control using the Flex TCP API.

Dave wo2x

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. It turns out that Dow Key makes a double pole relay with the N/C contacts already connected for throughput. They are ideally suited for the job, but require 24V. I have several on hand ready for the project.

Bill

• Rick_KJ5WO
    Rick_KJ5WO Member ✭✭

It appears we need different setups for different arrangements. The addition of another option in the TX Band Settings table would be nice so we don't have to create hardware fixes. Perhaps with V4!

73's

Rick...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.