Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profile Functionality

Lionel
Lionel Member ✭✭✭
  1. Hold the saved profiles constant unless intentionally changed.
  2. Tell me on SSDR UI- a) "no profile selected" b) "name of profile selected" c) warning "you have made changes to your profile"
6 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Hi Lionel... yes, there have been long discussions about this, ever since the 'auto-save profile' feature as added (around v2.5, I believe it was). What you are asking for in #1 is something a number of us have been asking for and even suggested/voted on when Flex asked for input on new features a year or so ago. I believe what you are asking for garnered a significant number of positive votes.

So far, tho, no word from Flex except that yes, they've heard us.

On #2, I believe that may already be in the SSDR UI -- near the top??? (I could be wrong, but I think I remember it being there).

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭

Don,

The profile name does not appear on the GUI though the SSDR rev does appear. (v3.2.39)

I just now had to recreate a xmt profile that somehow was gone on 30m (30 CW 100). By far its the predominant profile on 30 so surely no reason to delete. It's not possible to say with certainty that this was SSDR as the culprit.

I think the requested changes would save some ops time, and for some, time and frustration.

Certainly, I'd like to see it as an accepted "new idea" since I do not believe it appears on any other to do list.

• Conny
    Conny Member ✭✭

"auto-save" profile Feature (?) made profiles useless on on my 6600M

You need to have access to a PC too reliable "restore" a profile. It's totally negates the reason for all in one box (traditional) type of RIG.

I can't comprehend the reason why making "stored" settings volatile.

I carry index cards (none volatile) with all the settings written on them.

It's awkward and it does not make sense.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

A better option would be for Flex to add a selection in the main setup window. This selection would be a command to tell the current operating setup to revert to last selected Profile. Because the radio remembers what changes occurred while you were using the radio. So if you shut down SmartSDR (not the radio) it will save any current conditions that were initiated while operating. To get back to your prior setup before any changes were made, simply go to profiles and reselect the profile. You will find yourself back to your starting point. What you experience with Auto-Save is radio persistence and no changes are made to currently selected profile. You can always get back to your previously defined starting point because NO changes are made to the previously defined profile. Only current setup changes are changed, in Radio PERSISTENCE. I would like to see the name of the currently selected profile some place on or in the window, and make it clickable to recall it.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, the why is that Flex believed it would reduce support calls, because operators would make changes, then not save them, and end up calling Flex support to get the changes back that hadn’t been saved. So the process was changed to auto save.

I discussed this with Steve Hicks at the Orlando Hamcation a few years ago, and suggested a switch to turn auto-save off or on. His testy reply was “I get it”

But there have not been any updates or bug fixes since then. The smartlink (TLS) change doesn’t count.

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

I have seen comments from Flex in other threads that support is a very serious consideration when they consider features. If the feature is complicated and will generate supports calls (costs) that can't be recovered as support is free, then it may not be developed.

Ham's seem reluctant to pay for new software features, there seems to be an expectation that they should have been included in the first place and why should I pay for them. How many customers paid for the 2.x and 3.x upgrades? How many customers would be willing to pay for the disable auto-save capability vs the expectation that the software doesn't work right (or the way I want it to) so it should be free? I think this issue is really slowing down software enhancements. Basics things such as filter memories and keyboard shortcuts don't appear to be anywhere on the horizon.

Software is very expensive to develop and support and a one time hardware purchase is just not going to be able to keep the software development work going. Work that brings new revenue in the door such as Government Customers, TGXL, and PGXL have been the recent focus.

I love my Flex and would love to see more features, but if customers won't purchase software upgrades and support, I can't blame Flex for putting scarce resources against other priorities. In the meantime I keep looking at the competition, but they don't seem to be as far along as Flex, even though we are talking about a product that has been on the market for going on 8 years now.

Ted, WR4T

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭

I would pay, happily, for the Profile Autosave On/Off switch. I really really dislikes this autosave feature that has ruined using profiles for me. I like my 6700 very much and will keep it forever. But autosave is a disaster from my point of view.

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭

I endorse everything said by Ted and Johan, and would also be prepared to pay to have the Profile Autosave On/Off switch added to the software.

Winston vk7wh

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Johan,

Same here, I’m on V2.4.10 waiting for the Autosave On/Off switch too. While I don’t have a need for any of the current V3.x features, I would upgrade if there was something added I could use as long as the Autosave switch was there too.

in the mean time V2.4.10 is working fine along with my 6700 and new TGXL.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.