Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSTAR, FLEX has left me

Kent Hufford
Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Third-Party Software

FLEX WAVEFORM software is a great idea. FLEX had a DSTAR WAVEFORM software, installation, and operating documentation in the download for years.

With SMARTSDR version 1.5xx and the purchase from FLEX of a DV USB dongle and the DSTAR WAVEFORM software you could do DSTAR on HF or if you had 2m and 440 transverters do DSTAR on your local repeaters. Worked great. No bad issues with it that I could tell. I used my FLEX 6xxx on DSTAR HF voice and with the great waterfall, I could find a clear spot to operate.

With SMARTSDR version 2.4xx, the FLEX DSTAR Waverform software had a minor bug. It had a small delay that showed up in the next transmission. Minor, but a little irritating since I paid to go to 2.****.

With SMARTSDR version 3.xx, the FLEX DSTAR Waveform software was not even being recognized by 3.xx and would not work at all. And, again I paid for this "upgrade".

FLEX then removed any trace of the DSTAR waveform software and the instructions, and stopped selling the DV dongle. I had heard they were "sorta" working on a fix to this last summer, but "not their top priority".

I now have a ICOM 705 driving a ELECTRAFT KPA1500 at 400 watts out on DSTAR HF Voice. Great radio and amp. The water fall on the 705 helps on DSTAR. But not as good as the early version of SMARTSDR on DSTAR.

I remember a reporter asking a politician why he changed political parties. The politician said he did not leave the party... the party left him.

Comments

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭

Kent,

Flex needs to get DSTAR capabilities back into their product. I would love to buy a transverter to get on our local DSTAR repeaters; however, this remains a dream.

Dave,

K5OZ

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I just got a 9700. They better not do it too soon ;-)

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

I also have a ICOM 9700. Great radio for 2m,440,1.2ghz all mode and satellite work. I first bought a FLEX 660 and two transverters. This was still when the DSTAR waveform was working. The FLEX worked great on the local DSTAR repeaters and then thru reflectors.

But, the 9700 does not do DSTAR HF Voice..

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Question.

What is the functionality gained by having DStar on your Flex? I am exploring how to enter into DStar and have looked at DStar computer access from home and handheld transceiver when mobile.

Since the Flex and the computer are both "home" based, how does one compare to the other for functionality?

Alan. WA9WUD

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

If you want to try DSTAR, a USB DSTAR DV3000 AMBE stick is a cheap way to start. If FLEX ever gets the DSTAR waveform to work again, then you can plug it into your

flex. Then you can talk over RF.

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

What version did DSTAR stop working. Can we roll back to get DSTAR functionality?

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

It worked completely OK with the last version of 1.****. Starting with 2.**** it introduced a small lag. I think the last working version of SSDR was about 2.4x

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

Thanks

• skotstanford
    skotstanford Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Any updates for DStar compatibility?\nthanks,\nScott\nW5SLS\n"}]
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Flex dropped support for both DSTAR and FreeDV so really don't think you will see it come back around until someone builds a API to an external device for DSTAR or like the FreeDV soundcard software.

Just my opinion but there you go.

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

Flex removed the FreeDV and DSTAR waveform files, the install instructions, and quit selling the DSTAR DV dongle a couple of years ago, when SSDR was "upgraded" and would not work properly with the waveforms. Flex had been working on and off with a couple of programmers to try and get them updated and working. Appears to no avail. Flex has to work on items that it's customers want, and they can make money on. During the past couple of months, Flex had other issues to resolve.

Interesting, in a presentation to QSO Today in the spring of 2021, Steve Hicks talked at length about how great the Waveform API was and used the FreeDV and DSTAR waveforms as examples. At 26:20min.

FlexRadio HF SDR as a Platform QSO Today - YouTube

Kent

KQ4KK

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

And the FT8 on the iOS version of the software is a waveform running in the flex.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

One thing to remember the API's for D-STAR and FreeDV where NOT written by FLEX and the problem was the D-Star dongle that was supported by the FLEX hardware became hard to get and as fast as FreeDV changes even today took a ton of work by the author of the FreeDV API to keep up with all the Mod compatibility updates with each other and decided to drop support for it.

I do miss the way FreeDV worked on earlier versions of SmartSDR, it was so seamless but it was a free API unlike D-Star if I remember right which was like $35.00, I can't remember exactly.

After no update support from the API authors for quite a while FLEX dropped support in SmartSDR.

Hope my memory has this correct but as usual I MAY be wrong Hi Hi.

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

The Flex DSTAR waveform was free. NWDigital is still selling the DVdongle.

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭

I just watched Dan, N7HQ YouTube presentation on HF Station integration and Automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43PLcjvNmA

In an answer to a question about FreeDV and DSTAR waveforms. Dan said "they are working on it". But it will take a couple of more interations of software for it to work.

He said Annaliese McDermond, NH6Z is working on this issue.

I had been corresponding with Steve Hicks, N5AC over the past couple of years on the status of the FLEX DSTAR Waveform. However, he has not answered the last couple.... Will try to see him at Dayton/Zenia.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

There is a rumour that if you take your DV Dongle and use a Quality Powered USB hub on the back of the radio USB port, it might work.

I have yet to give this a try, but if you want to give it a shot, I would be interested to see how it goes. (I can't just seem to find my Dongle) :)

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Interesting Mike, I do have a powered USB hub ready to go with my ThumbDV dongle. Who knows where I put the last download of FreeDV as I've changed computers since then but I did manage to find FreeDV-0.97.0-win32 which I believe is not the waveform but an independent windows app. Does anyone have the latest FreeDV and the Dstar waveform to email me? ve3cko@interpc.ca

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭

I hope Mike’s rumor is true! I will try to find my DVthumb drive and get a powered hub to give that a try.

Thanks,

Dave,

K5OZ

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Anyone have available to send me, the FreeDV and Dstar waveform? ve3cko@interpc.ca

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I'd like to thank Bret WX7Y for sending me the files. I did the install of both waveforms and see no FDV or DSTAR modes. It's been a few years since I had these installed and I followed the instructions, or so I think, lol. I do have a decent powered USB hub that I've been using with the DEMI 2MLDPA and had a couple of USB to serial converters that I used for band coding with the Quadra, and then the other went to the SDA-100 SteppIR controller.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike I should have told you, Flex dropped support because the API's were NOT being updated, at least with FreeDV and with full software version it works great with the Flex just like any other Digital Program.

I thought maybe you was going to use it as a Start for some new API's I guess

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Mike, send me an email. I might have them.

• skotstanford
    skotstanford Member ✭✭
    Does anyone have the last release of the Dstar waveform that they can send me? W5SLS@att.net
    Thank you.
  • K5WH
    K5WH Member ✭✭

For the FreeDV side, we know that has been non-functional for many years.

There was a work-around that created that worked exceptionally well for about a year that we were using, that first used a raspberry Pi and later a Teensy module flashed with some FreeDV code to offload some processing, that was very nice for the last year. It allowed for TWO additional modes, as FDVU and FDVL. Supporting the latest 700D mode of FreeDV. And you no longer needed a computer, which allowed for operating FreeDV right from SmartSDR, as well as from an Ipad remotely with Smartlink.

However, after about the 3.3.29 release, it broke that functionality. :(

By broke, I mean it ONLY broke the USB side, and it still works on LSB, but the USB setting shows to be on USB but the radio remains on LSB when transmitting.

Certainly, the RIGHT answer would be to resolve the primary issue so there's no need to use a Teensy module at all. But since that doesn't appear to be in the priority list, it would sure be great to have the other functionality restored.

Walter/K5WH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.