Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anybody doing SSTV?

Options
KG9LD
KG9LD Member ✭✭
I've got a used 6500 on the way and have downloaded Smartsdr Mac. I have looked all over the web before asking here but has anybody found a Mac SSTV program that will integrate with Smartsdr Mac? If so, which program and if you don't mind a pointer to a link to get it to be used with Smartsdr would be great.

73's and thanks in advance

Comments

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    Options

If you're planning on doing digital, whether SSTV, WSJT-X, or something else, you're going to need some kind of audio routing program. I use LOOPBACK by Rogue Amoeba, but there are several others.

Once you have that setup, any SSTV program that can output to a soundcard will be able to output to SmartSDR for Mac. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of SSTV programs that support Macs. Black Cat Systems (a long-time Mac developer) has Black Cat SSTV (https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sstv.html) and there is an older software package called MultiScan 3B (https://www.qsl.net/kd6cji/) but I know many have had issues with it and I'm not even sure if it will run on the newer Macs.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

MultiScan 3B will run under MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), but I suspect it will be toast under MacOS 11 :-( I use MacloggerDX to talk to the Flex and Vox looks after PTT.

• KG9LD
    KG9LD Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'll try and see if I can get an SSTV program running with LOOPBACK.
  • davidsmart
    davidsmart Member ✭✭
    Options
    Only problem is Loopback costs an arm and a leg - well just have to wait till a nice person writes a SSTV that will work with the flex-radio at a reasonable price
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options

Or ... you can do like I did in the '70's. I built a demodulator and sweep circuits to drive my oscilloscope sweep and Z-axis for a monitor. For the camera, I built a flying-spot scanner with a photon-multiplier tube. I focused a raster onto the target, converted the reflected light response to audio, and modulated my old Hallicrafters HT-32A.

Crude, but I think it does say a lot about what the spirit of amateur radio used to be and the efforts required to make it all work. Much simpler today .. but I truly believe the reward has faded.

Just thoughts from the shack ...

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Or has the homebrew spirit just taken a different direction? Instead of analog circuitry, we use Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Teensy boards. Instead of rheostats and engraved dials, we use digital encoders and touch screens.

I have had a blast building my TeensyMaestro station accessory. I would rate it just as high on the Fun-Meter as the electronic keyer I built in 1968 from a pair of 12AU7A tubes (I still have it, and it still works!).

Different approach, same great home-brew feeling!

• aa9js
    aa9js Member ✭✭
    Options
    Multiscan 3B will run on an M1 Silicon Mac. I haven't hooked it up to the Flex but I have run it many times to decode SSTV from the ISS, it works perfectly. I need to try that Blackcat software sometime.

Gary AA9JS
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For what it offers and does, Loopback is well worth the money.