Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the FlexRadio broadcast any status info over the network, or does it have to be polled?

I have searched a bunch of locations...but I am not sure I am wording the question right, so I am asking it here.

Setup: Flex6500, Network controlled system with power (REM ON port) and antenna switching handled from a server (Pi) running Linux using a remote scheduling system.

Problem to solve: I want to ensure the radio is off before switching antennas (so that it cannot be transmitting mid switch) Everything remote is handled via schedule for deconfliction.

Process: the plan is to simply power down the radio like we normally do between sessions via schedule.

Issue: If a user is actively operating remotely via SmartSDR, will the radio shutdown, or will it stay in the powered on state...

Question: so here is where I want to see if there is a simple method for the server to determine if the Flex is powered on or not...are there network messages, Is there some port that is only active when radio is on we can monitor? We don't want to have someone accidentally transmit during the switch.

Thanks,
Mike
KF5DEY

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mike, the TCP/IP API has "subscriptions" that you can subscribe to that will give information as things change. For example if you "sub tx all", you can tell if the transmitter is "ready", meaning that no one is currently transmitting. You will get notice of the series of events that lead up to transmitting and back to receive.

The radio will be able to be shut off using the remote on jack or the front panel button regardless of the number of stations logged in. I have not tested to see what happens if the rig is shut off while a station is transmitting. You might want to set power out to 1 watt into a dummy load and hit the power switch to see what happens. The radio does most things pretty gracefully, so I suspect this will not be a problem, but I don't know for sure.

Dave, WO2X has done some fantastic Node-Red flows that monitor the status of the radio. I am guessing that he has something already written that can be used or modified for your use. If you are a programmer, you can use any of a number of languages to access the API to get what you are after.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, Node Red will be able to subscribe to clients and show if clients are connected, along with a lot of other info. The Flex Radio TCP WiKi has all kinds of information you can get from the radio. The Node Red VITA49 and FlexRadio flows will be able to allow you to get the information you want.

More info available at nodered-hamradio@groups.io | Home

Dave wo2x

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I had no idea that Node Red capability existed...We are not sure if we can use it as a direct control (we don't want to punch any more holes through the firewall), but I will look into this.

Thanks,
    Mike
    KF5DEY
  • KD0RC

One thought comes to mind... You want to be sure no one is transmitting when you change antennas. One thing you could do is to open all 4 slices. If all of them open for you, then no one else can transmit. Now you are safe to change antennas. If you close one or all slices, others can grab them and transmit.

This would eliminate the need to power down the rig just to effect an antenna change.

Not sure if this solves your problem, but I thought I would throw it out there.

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭

This is done blind, via a scheduling system...rather than physically punching a button. (the server 'physically' pushes all buttons)

So two different users could be controlling the radio.

Since last spring, we have been expanding the capability...the antenna switching is pretty much the last part. (actually Rotor control would be last, if we ever get there).

I have been looking at the TX Inhibit system...that might be a possiblity?

Mike

• KD0RC

That is certainly a possibility. If you inhibit TX, make the antenna change, then enable TX again you should be safe.

Here is a link to the SmartSDR Wiki. Look at Xmit and Interlock API commands.

SmartSDR TCP/IP API - SmartSDR Wiki (flexradio.com)

I haven't looked into Node-Red much yet, but I am guessing that it would be the quickest route to implementing your scheme. Dave, WO2X and Alan, WA9WUD are famous for their level of Node-Red expertise and willingness to help.

You mentioned punching holes in your firewall. Not sure I understand what you mean...

• KF5DEY
    KF5DEY Member ✭✭

There is a ton of functionality (according to pictures and videos I have seen) with node red and the flex. But it requires direct access to the node red box...so we don't desire to put a node red box on the internet. That is what I mean by punching holes in the firewall.

Internal usage is just fine.

Mike

• KD0RC

I am pretty sure that Node-Red does not require an internet connection. As long as you don't have any flows that reach out to the internet, you will not go outside your own LAN.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Node red server runs on the radio LAN. The dashboard is accessed from any web browser, including smartphones. It does require a port to be open for the web server in the Node Red server. There are various ways to secure the web server (password, TailScale, etc).

The nice thing is almost all of the ancillary equipment can be connected to the Pi via serial, USB, or IP, then just one port open in the firewall (plus two ports for SmartLink).

Again, the web interface can be secured several different ways.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You can easily do a TX Lockout in NodeRed

The radio does broadcast when it is in TX and you can use that as a GATE in NodeRed to lockout commands being sent to critical devices.

I use GATES to make sure that NR doesn’t send commands to the Steppir. It also doesn’t read wattage unless the radio is in TX. You can get the idea.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.