Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FTDI Adapter

Rich M5RIC
Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Hi all

Trying to get a USB CAT cable working with an Acom 2000A.

Have bought an USB to DB9 adapter, saying it has an FTDI chip, plugging it in shows it in the USB cables menu but I can't get the acom to follow the radio.

Have made the cable as per the acom manual and set it up for Kenwood New etc on the RCU

Can I assume that as it's showing up in the 6600M's usb cable section as the pic below that the adapter is ok and should function or is this wrong e.g it still might not work?

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

Have you tried differant/lower baud rates? My Expert amp has a 4800 baud setting.

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

The manual says 19200 but i just tried a lower one but no change.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Spent some time to get it going :)

It looks like fig 7-6 CAT for K3, but you have to consider TX/RX on the FTDI is swapped DTE vs DCE :)

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-dte-and-dce/

On the RCU 15-pin connector pin1 RX-RS232 pin4 TX-RS232

Look at the picture, pin1 goes to pin3 on 9-pin connector/FTDI and pin4 goes to pin2/FTDI and ground is pin5 on both.

Currently unable to power up amp but if I recall correctly I am using Kenwood protocol and 19200baud

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Lasse thats worked.

I was following the Kenwood wiring details!

Quick re-solder and now hearing that lovely sound when the Acom tunes as I move frequencies and change bands.

Rich

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.