Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6400M and a tablet in the field

Didier F6DXE
Didier F6DXE Member ✭✭
edited July 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows
I will have a small expedition on an island on the coast of Brittany and will use my new Flex-6400M. The plan is to use N1MM for CW and JTDX for FT4/FT8.
The Flex is able to recognize a direct link to a PC or Laptop but I will be using a windows tablet without LAN connector but only WIFI.
How would one create a connection between the transceiver and the tablet?
Any experience on this?
Thanks
Didier (****) F6DXE

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

One possibility is to give your PC or laptop a USB LAN connector. I bought one on Amazon for 12 euro, works well. You can also get a Type-C adapter if that is the only type of USB port available.

• Didier F6DXE
    Didier F6DXE Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, i'll check Amazon and I do have a USB port available.
    BTW I will be using TM6JVX from the island of 'ile Vierge' in the north of Brittany on saturday the 24th of July.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Another option is to bring a cable modem router with you that can create a WiFi network along with being able to plug the laptop and radio in via Ethernet. You do not need Internet to use the router. It will also be a DHCP server to provide IP addresses to the equipment.

Dave wo2x

• Didier F6DXE
    Didier F6DXE Member ✭✭
    Thanks guys, it was ok with the USB/LAN for all controls except the audio that I could not get properly.
    THe DAX panel showed the signals coming in but FTDX and WSJTX reported error on the audio imput and I was not able to do FT4 or FT8 from the island.
    Otherwise CW and all controls were ok between the 6400M and N1MM
    I will try the router as mentioned by Dave
  • Erik Carling EI4KF

Oh dear, my laptop with USB LAN connector does get audio from the radio and is transferred to JTDX. I hope you were using the correct input. You would think that if DAX showed signals they must have been acquired though the LAN and must be available for the FT4/8 software.

I did once try the router method that Dave mentioned. I did not give it as an option because in my case it got affected by RF. You will have better luck, I hope.

• Didier F6DXE
    Didier F6DXE Member ✭✭
    > @"Erik Carling EI4KF" said:
    > Oh dear, my laptop with USB LAN connector does get audio from the radio and is transferred to JTDX. I hope you were using the correct input. You would think that if DAX showed signals they must have been acquired though the LAN and must be available for the FT4/8 software.
    > I did once try the router method that Dave mentioned. I did not give it as an option because in my case it got affected by RF. You will have better luck, I hope.

Hi Erik, the DAX panel showed signals but nothing on JTDX. The chanel choice should be ok
    I read somewhere in a group that JTDX should be started from N1MM which I did not do. I will try this
    Didier
  • Erik Carling EI4KF

Hi Didier, it is very strange. But as you know, everyone has a unique set-up and just because it works here is no guarantee it will somewhere else. For example, I have never had to involve N1MM with JTDX. I simply use the normal audio I/O DAX RX 1 and DAX TX and it sends and receives on the laptop. I presume your JTDX was set to these streams. If so, something else is affecting it I would say - not that I'm any expert. I hope you solve it.

Erik.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.