Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TGXL not following Active TX Slice

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

I reported "Low Power" error on another thread and submitted ticket to Flex on Friday.

During IARU contest I figured out what's going on as I got "Low Power" error several times (I found it is happening after bands switching to a different Slice (A or B). I have SO2R version.

Explanation demonstrated on video and sent to Flex to review.

I am not sure if there is some settings to enable TGXL to follow TX slice or this is a feature request. Otherwise I have to switch TGXL manually on proper Slice or hit short transmit any time i switch the band.

Decided to share it here in case someone else have similar issue.

Sergey, KN7K

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

What is your tune power set to in tx band settings?

Dave wo2x

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Dave,

It is 20W, but the power is not the problem. Watch video again, you can see that switching should activated by some transmit in order to get TGXL to switch to correct slice.

Sergey

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

This is exactly what I am seeing on my TGXL and more, I have more information beyond this when I try to use side B the PGXL AMP throws a high SWR alarm, EXCEPT for when the Tuner is in "Standby".

IN THE VIDEO please pay attention to the Tuning solution when things are tuning, first the Tuning is way too fast and the C1, L, and C2 were all at ZERO's at the end of the tuning cycle instead of the same numbers as side A has for that particular Antenna. 

Mine acts the same, Doesn't matter if it is 6 meters or ANY band on side B it is ALWAYS 0 (zero's) on C1, L, and C2 and the Tuner does not tune even though you might think it is when on side B.  

Glad it's not just me that has this issue, maybe there is hope.

My support ticket on this problem is 45271

I have a bunch of other information but goes in to deep here for trying to put it down in writing.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Bret,

I suspect that "too quick" tune could be due to already low SWR. Is that the case on your antenna?

Sergey, KN7K

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

This is why I suggested look at the C1, L, and C2 Values after you run a tune cycle using the same frequency should read the same as if you were on Antenna 1 Port A except for your on Antenna 2, Port B.

Mine on 2 and B always go to all Zero's after a tune cycle and doesn't work, this should be the same as on Antenna 1 and A for the same Frequency and same Antenna selected after a tune cycle.

If yours's doesn't do this then mine is definitely different then yours and not the same issue in that case disregard.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited July 2021

@Sergey KN7K

Can you please open a support ticket please so we can track this and compare it to Bret's report. Do not combine it with your PGXL case unless they are 100% related.

Thanks

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Support

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Michael, i opened ticket on Friday, sent all videos, waiting for response.

Thanks

Sergey

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Michael, just to add, not sure why my PGXL and TGXL tickets combined by Flex to one. Sergey

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Can you email me the ticket number please.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Done

• K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭

I upgraded the firmware to 1.1.1. Still having the low power error and the TGXL doesn't track the active slice. Using 20 watts for tuning. based on what I have read above, I guess I need to turn in a ticket also. Any word yet on a fix from those who have a ticket in already?

• K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭

Problems solved. It helps to assign the right radio to the right port.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

K5UFO, not sure what problem you had and solve. The problem I showed in the video is still there, I posted it at 4o3a forum and they are aware of it and told me it is not easy to resolve, but they are looking into it.

Sergey

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Sergey, I watched your video again. That is how my tuner works.

I set up the tuner for each antenna for each band initially. Once set up, there is no need to hit TUNE on tuner in SO2R mode, unless your SWR changes. In that case you would see high SWR and already be on the band you want to tune. Hitting the TUNE button on that band would then not result in the error you are seeing.

I understand what you are saying. It appears the tuner does not read the active TX band when you press TUNE on tuner. Under normal operation there should be no reason to do that after setting up each antenna on each band the first time.

I just want to let you know mine does the same thing in SO2R mode. When the tuner sees a signal from the radio it will switch to the proper channel (A or B) and not give the high SWR error. Flex and 4O3A recommend the minimum 20 ms delay to allow that switching at beginning of TX.

Are you seeing the error in normal SO2R operation after you have set the tuning memories? You should not.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.