Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Vpn service that works with flex smart link?

k9bdh
k9bdh Member ✭✭
[{"insert":"Anyone know of any Vpn service that can work with smartlink? More and more isp’s are using carrier grade NAT\n\nthx\nBrad\nk9bdh\n"}]

Answers

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭

Take a look at a VPN service called Tailscale. I use it for SmartSDR as well as linking via node red on my rapsberry Pi. It is a free service for non-commercial use.

Bob, KN4HH

• k9bdh
    k9bdh Member ✭✭

Does that then connect to your home router? I guess how did you get your FLex radio on the VPN.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Brad, with SmartLink you don't need a VPN to connect SmartSDR to your radio remotely. Are you looking for basic connectivity to your radio, or do you have something specific that you are trying to do that requires a VPN?

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Interesting to hear that Tailscale works, they claim to be using Wireshark as a base, and that is supposedly not supporting layer2, i.e. no discovery packets.

For us CW-fans forced to stick with 2.4.10 there is NO SSDR working remote! So I am curerntly using a simple RPi with SoftEther VPN and it has been running for a number of years!

• k9bdh
    k9bdh Member ✭✭

My current internet is carrier grade NAT so no public ip address that. Basically using cell internet

• KD0RC

Ah, OK. Well, when I operate remotely, I use my cell phone as a hotspot. I connect to my radio using SmartLink (not VPN). I also have an older laptop in the shack that I VPN into (SoftEther) to connect my TeensyMaestro to the radio. I use TeamViewer to control my rotator and to monitor/operate my amp and tuner.

I think you are generally better off connecting SmartSDR using SmartLink to get better latency numbers. Everything else can be on the VPN and/or a facility like TeamViewer.

All of that being said... one thing you might want to do is to put in a helpdesk ticket. The Flex folks have helped a lot of people with a really diverse set of network equipment and ISP issues. I am guessing that they can get you working without resorting to your cell phone.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

@KD0RC Len….. have you had good success hotspotting your cell phone and operating with a Maestro?

Thanks.

• KD0RC

Hi Pat, I don't have a Maestro. I have my own, homebrew "TeensyMaestro". If I have good cell service, the whole thing works great (SmartSDR using SmartLink, TeensyMaestro using SoftEther VPN, everything else via TeamViewer). If I have crummy cell service, it works pretty well, but does drop off the network occasionally and often has outrageous latency.

Since my TeensyMaestro does not pass panadapter or audio data, it is solid as a rock, even under poor connectivity conditions. SmartSDR or a real Maestro do everything, and have a much heavier load to bear than my little gizmo, so they are more sensitive to network quality.

I would say give it a try, you might be surprised at how well it works. I would also say not to get your hopes too high; a cell phone hotspot for high speed real-time data transfer is a compromise at best.

• KD0RC

Here is a diagram of my current remote setup:

Note that if I were ever to be in a place with available WiFi (hasn't happened yet...) then I would just use the WiFi in the laptop, not the phone. With this arrangement, I can run my logger (N3FJP ACLog) from either PC.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭

Sorry, I need to clarify. I use Tailscale in conjunction with FRStack and node red to control my flex interfaces (tuner, amplifier, power, etc.). SmartSDR does not require the use of a vpn.

Bob, KN4HH

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Tailscale is a great tool, but it is not a VPN - too much to explain here. It is more of a point to point tunnel, not point to network tunnel. You'll want to have a close look at it. https://tailscale.com/

If you want a VPN to replace SmartLink, the easiest and most documented is SoftEther (you can search for it in the community). We used it before we released SmartLink.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.