Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for Mac for Mac Silicon??

I probably should've ask this before purchasing, but I thought this application was written for Mac silicon. However, when I downloaded and installed, I got that it was Intel from the get info. While the description states it's compatible with M1 Macs, I guess he just meant using Rosetta, it was compatible with M1 Macs, is this correct? If so, anyone know when this will be coded for Mac silicon?

Thanks,

James, W8GN

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

James

If you email the author of SmartSDR for MAC (check the Help area), he will answer you with the details.

Answers

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

James, as you have undoubtedly experienced, SmartSDR for Mac runs as smooth as silk and at lightning speed on the M1 Macs. Absolutely no issues and it keeps getting better. I am very pleased and it isn't clear to me what would be improved thru native coding for the M1. But who knows what Marcus might come up with.

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭

Thanks W7NGA for the reply. The only advantage of the universal app (apple silicon native coding) would be no rosetta overhead and maybe coding that takes advantage of the ARM based architecture.

I emailed Marcus and he's a long time Apple/Mac developer andcoder and he actually has a universal application ready, but he's waiting on Apple to get their libraries for the ARM chip more stable before he released the native version.

Jim, W8GN