Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'm tired of sending in Helpdesk tickets

Since July 2018 to today I've sent in way to many Helpdesk tickets . I've spent way to many hours and dollars trying to keep this radio working or I should say 2 flex radios going . A flex 6600 and a 6500 . I'm wore out from doing Factory resets , rebuilding profiles , Flashing Red lights , I've rebuilt the Dax drivers more then I would like , I've had the Cat ports ghost or disappear, I've had multiple issues doing updates . Flex Radio has taken the fun out of Ham Radio for me . I'm not a Computer guru or a network TI ! Or do I want to be ..I felt like I really did something when I set up multiple instances of WSJT-X . I like working DX

I did a screen shots from my flex e-mails . I had to take a total or 5 screen shots to show all the e-mails send. I was going to sent one but you get the picture .

Over 3 hours spent this afternoon getting my 2 Flex radios up and running and they will work fine as long as I don't turn them off but thunderstorms again TMW

Disappointed, Ed N5DG

Comments

• Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭

OM Ed,

I find that Flex are very responsive to Help Desk tickets.

I suggest to contact them again with a suggestion that they will assist remotely via Teamviewer or simailar or similar software. I am sure that it can be done this way. They assited me this way when my radio developed a problem with DAX driver.

Tom

• Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭

Ed,

I feel your pain. I do think people should look at Flex radios as a computer with a radio interface or a radio with a computer interface. Although I love my 6600M and 6400m I have come to realize it’s not for everyone. It’s certainly not our fathers rig nor is it anything like the first of many rigs we have ever owned. The melding of ham radio and computing in one box has been both an education and learning experience I suspect for Flex and certainly for me as one of its users.

The earlier DAX issues changing with Windows updates were certainly frustrating but it seems to me Flex has figured it all out eventually and it doesn’t seem to be an issue any longer, at least as far as I’m concerned with my rigs.

As for profiles, what a wonderful feature of Flex radios. That’s the primary way I change bands and modes these days. Flex did some changes I did not agree with like a power level change was automatically retained in the profile as opposed to the way I initially set it up in a profile. I like to have a lower set drive level for an amp and would like to start there every time I pull up a profile and increase as I operate as needed. Now when I pull up a profile it starts at whatever power level I last used. I do realize many other hams must feel differently for them to have changed that so I just live with it. It’s a small price to pay for the convenience of profiles.

So in that vein, I don’t recall ever owning an ICOM, Yaesu or Kenwood rig that I ever had any direct or indirect communications about their rigs and the way they functioned with the manufacturer. I never felt that what I liked or disliked with their rigs would ever remotely be subject to change because of my input. Flex is different, they do listen. It may never change but I believe they do listen.

I suspect a box rig is the way to go for a lot of hams that don’t enjoy the trials and tribulations of a computerized radio like a Flex radio. Trust me, I do have a box radio for backup for when and if the next time my Flex radio acts more like a misbehaving computer than a radio. Great fully, I can’t recall the last time I needed to fire up that backup rig because I don’t recall the last time either of my Flex rigs let me down.

Best 73 and the Best of FT8 DXing…. Jeff

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

Tom , I contacted helpdesk Wed. afternoon , Thur late, Tim sent me some steps to go thru . I followed the steps to a T then rebuilt profiles . The same day thur evening sent Tim a reply with one question about disconnecting for storms . It was a yes or no question but he never replied. Sat. a T-storm is near , I disconnect coax , turn off radio , wait for it to shut down and unplug the DC power cable . I reverse all after storm passes over and I get the No Radio Connected window . Now I have to do a factory reset , rebuild profiles before the radio will work . Both radios do the same way . I'm spending way to much time trying to get the radio's up and going then I am operating. Four time in one week I've reset and rebuilt on two radio . I wish Flex radio would help

Ed N5DG

Jeff , I bought a 6500 for backup . Now I have two radio's to try to keep going . When all is working I like the Flex over over any radio . So if I had a box radio , now I spending more time hooking it up , reconfiguring ports for logging and redoing WSJT-X to work with the box radio . No thanks .

Ed N5DG

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Ed, sorry you are having difficulties. DAX windoze update issue is resolved and in the past. If I'm reading right, after disconnecting everything and then reconnect and power up, you are having an ongoing issue of "No Radio Connected" window. Then you factory reset, redo profiles and it works. This is not right. If I had the symptoms you are having, since you are having the same symptom on both radios I would first leave one radio alone and work with the other. I'd start with the 6500, I would not do a factory reset or rebuild the profiles, I would look for the source of the problem. I'd look closer on the connectivity between computer and radio since your getting "No Radio Connected".

May I make a suggestion or 2 if you have tried this already. First a few questions: What is your setup when you get a "No Radio Connected" window? Specifically, is your 6500 connected to a wifi router LAN port and your computer connected to the same LAN port? Have you tried to connect the 6500 directly to your computer bypassing your wifi router? Is your computer IP settings Automatic (DHCP)?

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

Mike this problem started on the first boot after installing 3.2.39 from 3.2.31 . both radios are connected to LAN . the 6500 is DHCP and the 6600 is Static

Later I will try getting one radio up and running before connecting power to the second radio

Tnx Ed N5DG

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

Ed,

I would not keep resetting the radio since that doesn't solve your problem. You have proved you get the same results every time on both radios and I bet that will continue. You are going to have to try something different. You have at least 2 other components involved, the network and your computer. The next time this happens I would try a different computer. If one is not available then at least reboot the one you have and see what happens. If that doesn't correct the issue then try rebooting your router. My point is that you need to try something different as just resetting the radio is getting you nowhere. If appears your problem is just a network issue that you will have to track down. Something in the network is not playing well with the radios.

Since 2 radios are doing the same thing I think you can eliminate the radio. I know I am repeating myself but stop resetting the radio and take a different approach. Look at the rest of the system/network. I think you have proved it's most likely not the radios because they both have the same issue.

If all else fail, like others have said, let the flex guys take at look at your system remotely.

Harold

W5ZZT

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

A lot of the software problems relate back to the nature of Windows based computers. Many of the functions depend on what is remembered by the registration system of the core system. In my own case I had similar problems and really wanted an end to software problems. Not being an IT person, I searched for software that would help me without having to learn line instructions, with all the syntax involved, which I do not care to learn. I was using an application on my Mac that did a good job of cleaning things up. They also have a PC version. It is called Clean my PC. It does functions like eliminating excess stuff on your disk drive. Checking and fixing registry entries. Does removes applications completely, plus a bunch of other useful maintenance functions. The most useful and important function is the registry maintenance feature. Since I started using it on a regular basis, I have not had any software problems. The other maintenance function is the app deletion function that helps deep cleans and eliminate extraneous code. A clean computer is a happy computer and in turn makes the Flex radio happy.

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

Okay first thanks for all the suggestions . I chased Network problems in the past for 1.5 years , I' bought new computers and 2 routers but the radio still lost connection every 4 days . I've had the best techs form Flex log onto my system and change things in my computer and router . Flex worked hard trying to keep the radio from losing connection. If you can think of something I should try , It's been done more then once by me and Flex again for 1.5 years . Now here's what fixed the lost connection from radio every 4 days . Oh and BTW Version 2.3 would not lose connection . The fix was V3.2.31 and now were up to 3.2.39 and their was one in-between that I didn't try . Waited a few weeks before installing .39 on the 2 Flexes . I must like my Flex Radio's to put up with all this trouble since July 2018

I hate to stick my neck out and say all is working fine now but twice now I've turned the radio's off and remove the power cable and twice they started back up with only minor problems .

I got this working by turning off the radios then turning off the computers , wait 5 minutes turn on radios , boot computers, never removing the DC cables ... I did this 5 time . On the 6th time I removed the DC cable , did the 5 min wait and all came up and worked . Then last night I disconnected everything and it came back up fine this morning or I should say somewhat fine . My power setting all reverted back to 100 watts and the TX Band Setting (RCA TX 1) all no longer checked .

Dan form FRS is going to call me Tue AM when he's back in the office . So I'm down to some minor bugs now . I hope Flex has no new updates for a long time . I'm not a computer Guru and don't want to be .

Thanks All , Ed N5DG

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Ed:

Do you use your Flex from multiple stations; meaning multiple PCs, iPads, or Maestros? At one point my 6400 would remain happy until I logged in via my Maestro (via LAN) then everything would get wacky. Tim at Flex put some serious time in and things (finally) got sorted out.

GL and I feel your pain.

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭

Best wishes. I'm in Northern Colorado where we get quite a bit of lightning. Our storms are usually short in duration. Perhaps you could float charge a 12VDC battery and leave the radio powered but off but receiving power from the battery since your AC to 12VDC supply will be off??

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

All

Dan (our support Director) is working with Ed directly one on one and we are pretty sure Dan identified an issue related to his network and what the long term fix is.

The radio failing was the symptom. The problem is something else and if Ed is ok with it, I will share it with you.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I hope so. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It really isn't worth sharing the details other than what I said.

There are so many bad routers and switches that do not do a good time on 'real time' communications. Good enough for Surfing and Streaming since it isn't time-sensitive. They work, they just don't work well.

And, when you experience it (none radio wise) the default is to blame it on your ISP. This is why I always test someones internet with a Laptop and a LAN cable plugged right into the Modem first as a data point.

Always make sure you firmware in your router is current as they often address many performance issues.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I guess it might be difficult for Flex to have a list of known good and not recommended units?

• Arnold Goldman
    Arnold Goldman Member ✭✭

just been very frustrating re my 6600M; it's now the THIRD time the radio is being shipped back to FLEX; first the radio was DEAD out of the box last year with the internal speaker not operating; just back earlier this year I had to return the radio for a NEW SDR CARD; then as everyone else knows there was the software bug until version 3.2.39 was released; now the display has to be replaced; being an orthopedic surgeon here in NYC, ham radio has been a GREAT diversion from the COVID pandemic (NEVER CLOSED MY OFFICE TAKING CARE OF PATIENTS) even to the point where Ive introduced my fiance and future father in law to ham radio; She is studying for her ham license and hopefully will get my moms old call and he will get my brothers old call sign; have been using the Maestro remotely in manhattan, PC in the office, while the radio has been left on at home; have been a ham for over 50 years since high school at Brooklyn Tech and have gotten back into it more than ever( I worked at Harrison Radio, Barry Electronics, Lafayette and Arrow Elecftronics during high school and college); however my old Collins Sline and EFJ boatanchors have been more reliable; so for approximately 1 1/2 years my radio has been nonoperative for almost 3-4 months; and except for one phone call cannot speak to a live person; after spending nearly 15K (radio, amp, and tuner deposit) i think i will look elsewhere for my next radio; this has been extremely frustrating; I know being HEALTHY ALWAYS comes first but radio has been a great diversion during these difficult times; I was not going to complain but when i got an email yesterday saying that FLEX was doing me a favor by sending me a UPS shipping label even with paying for the extended warranty, this whole experience has been very disconcerting; 73's and HOPE EVERYONE STAYS HEALTHY

Seems like im not the only one sending in help tickets

• Mike-VA3MW

We have considered doing that and coming up with a good/bad list. Of course, it will be old the day we publish it.

There are a few routers we like (like pfSense-but it is a prosumer grade and for a more advanced person).

Unofficially we have mentioned the Evenroute IQ Router has being very good since it also handles BufferBloat very well.

Personally, I have liked the TP-Link prosumer switches like TL-SG10xx series (that is what I use).

As well as the NetGear GS108Tv2 is another one I use.

On the surface, I look for metal cases and chokes on the power lines.

Asus AC66u is one that Ken Wells uses.

The challenge is that ISPs want to send out an all-in-one solution (Router, WiFi and Switch) as it makes it easy for them in port sales support. Some ISPs will go with the lowest bidder, and that doesn't help.

In short, don't be the least expensive one and try to avoid anything in a plastic case (just my personal geek opinion).

Mike

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I can second the IQRouter. Has worked great for me for several years now. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.