Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Static IP?

I use a FTDX101 to drive the PGXL. I use DHCP to get an IP. However, it appears that I must first start the Utility and then start the PGXL with the AC switch on the rear of the amp for the DHCP to work. Now, a couple of questions:
1) Would the use of a static IP obviate the need to cold start the PGXL?
2) If so, in order to establish a static IP with my provider I need a MAC address. Does the PGXL have one?
Thanks for any help.
Kenny - K4XL

Best Answers

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓

If I'm understanding your connection, "The PGXL is connected via the Ethernet port to a similar port on my PC." you have the PGXL ethernet port connected directly to your PC?, This is not correct. The wifi router has the DHCP server, the PGXL must be connected to one of the LAN ports on the wifi router. If you cannot connect your computer to one of the other LAN ports on the wifi router and want to use a wifi connection from your computer to router that is ok as both the computer and PGXL will grab a designated IP address from the DHCP server in the wifi router. I would not use wifi if it can be avoided only due to all the hiccups that can and will happen on a wifi connection. Hope this helps.

• Kenny
    Kenny Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the information. Direct connection to the modem/router isn't possible. I do have a WiFi Access Point which I will try.
    Thanks again.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Kenny

Something does not sound correct. The PGXL does not require the utility to be running for the PGXL to get an IP address. The utility is not part of the process.

How is the PGXL connected to your network? Is it connected to a Network switch?

Can you describe your network setup?

Yes, all LAN devices do have a MAC address.

If would highly success that you solve the DHCP issue (we can help with that with a support ticket) or do what is called a DHCP reservation.

However, we discourage customers from doing this sort of advanced Network configuration if they do not understand the ramifications of making such changes. It usually causes issues later in diagnosing issue.

• Kenny
    Kenny Member
    The PGXL is connected via the Ethernet port to a similar port on my PC. The PC is connected to the Modem/Router via WiFi.
    DHCP does work but only under the conditions that I mentioned in my first message.
    Thanks & 73,
    Ken - K4XL
  • Kenny
    Kenny Member
    The PGXL is connected via the Ethernet port to a similar port on my PC. The PC is connected to the Modem/Router via WiFi.
    DHCP does work but only under the conditions that I mentioned in my first message.
    Thanks & 73,
    Ken - K4XL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.