Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-1500/3000 Is there a successor in sight?

Hi all,

although my main radio is a Flex-6500, I use my trusty legacy radios for QRP, portable and EMCOMM work. The Flex-1500 with it's USB connection is still a very good radio and the Flex-3000 sits under my Getac S400 notebook and works fine with firewire. I know the limits of these radios, of course: bandwidth and CPU power needed. KE9NS gave these radios a whole new life with his continued development of PowerSDR.

I know that this is nothing new, but what I really would like, are new radios with the form factor of the Flex-3000, but with a FPGA and the CPU power of the new Flex radios and Ethernet connection, of course. A new small QRP radio would also be a very nice addition :-)

BTW I bought the Flex-3000 used 10 years ago and the Flex-1500 - also in a very good used condition - 8 years ago. I use these radios daily and the Flex-3000 did run almost continuously for a long time as a PACTOR mailbox and at full power.

Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t the 6700 have roughly the form factor of the 3000?

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, due to 'problems' way in the past with discussing their future plans, Flex doesn't talk about what they have on the drawing board. They may have a lower power rig on the horizon, but they won't discuss it here. They've pretty well carved out their 'niche' in the low power (100W) range and are using accessories (Tuner Genius, etc.) to meet the needs of contesting hams. The QRP world has a lot of competitors (and more coming every day), so I'm not sure that's an area that Flex will want to re-enter.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Thank you for your comments, which I really appreciate!

@N3DF: No, the 6700 is much bigger than the 3000 and the price is much higher.

@VE7ATJ: I just thought because FlexRadio already was there with the Flex-1500, maybe... :-)

Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.