Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Stand over 6000 series

Options

Been doing some looking and thought I'd toss this out there to see if anyone has found what I am seeking.

I am looking for a stand to place over the 6400 and then put a KPA/KTA500 on the stand. The idea here is to not have the weight of the amp resting on the 6400 and also allow for sufficient airflow around the 6400.

I know I could probably build something but thought I'd see what others may have done.

Answers

• James Del Principe
    Options

Check out office supply stores. Office Max, office depot, etc.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi David, I just put my KPA 500 and KAT 500 directly on my 6400 when I am operating from my 5th wheel camper. The case is very robust and there are no cooling vents on the top. The KPA 500 / KAT 500 combo is pretty light, so I don't think it presents any issue at all to be on top of the radio.

Since I took this picture, I now move the whole setup an inch towards the table to allow the side vents a little more space from the back of the dinette seat. My dinette seat is stiff enough to hold the 6400 completely on its legs so that the bottom vents are not blocked (even with the amp on top). I would suggest a piece of plywood under the radio to guarantee that it does not sink into the seat (I plan on doing this for Field Day this year). In any event, I think you are OK without the shelf over the Flex.

EDIT: Note that I do not travel with the station in this configuration. The amp sits on a carpeted part of the floor in the bedroom and the tuner and 6400 ride on the bed. I use this thing on some pretty rough roads and this method of travel storage works great.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@David_NK5G

Hi David

You know, you don't even really need the 6400 on the desk. You could move it underneath your desk and keep the amp on top of the desk so you can see the meters.

Or, move both to another room closer to the antennas and then use the Remote feature of the. KPA500 to watch the meters (or NodeRed for that matter).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.