Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter jack on Flex6300

Options

Would feeding a 6M preamp into the Flex 6300 XVTR/RX input jack hurt the preamp? Anyone doing this?

I have never used transverters so was wondering how much drive power is normally used on this XVTR output/input?

I want to use this jack for RX input only.

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

For optimum signal to noise, I do not see how placing a pre-amp between the Flex Radio and the Transporter would have a benefit.

Normally the pre-amp goes between the Transverter and the Antenna, with the pre-amp as close to the antenna as possible.

Alan. WA9WUD

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I found the answer to my question(s) by searching the Community archives.. It was a kind of clunky procedure but eventually I found the answer I was looking for and it appears I will be ok. Thanks all for reading/responding. Great source of help.

Regards

Larry K1UO

Answers

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options

Not using a transverter but just the XVTR jack on the 6300 as an input for a RX antenna. The rx antenna has a preamp and I do not want to accidentally burn it out.... The preamp manufacturer recommends no more than 10mw of rf (or+10dbm) be applied to the preamplifier.

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    Options

Using the XVTR BNC jack as a RX only input begins with the ANT selection window, by selecting the XVTR jack as the RX antenna, but not the TX antenna. This will prevent transmitting low level RF output into your outboard 6 meter preamp.

I don't think the second part of your question has been addressed, i.e., whether the output level of your external 6 meter preamp could damage the front end of your Flex receiver.

While I don't use an outboard receive preamp on 6 meters, I regularly use the XVTR jack as a receiver input for a DX Engineering magnetic loop receive antenna on the lower bands. The mag loop has a high-gain preamp at the antenna end of the coax, which is always on. The preamp has not caused any problems with the front end of my Flex receiver. So, depending on the output level of your external 6 meter preamp, you should be okay. You might want to compare the specified output voltage of your preamp with the spec's. Flex can provide on the maximum safe input voltage on the Flex receiver front end if in doubt. While Flex does not provide schematics, I assume there is diode protection on the XVTR BNC input. Staying under the diode protection voltage level would avoid a trip back to Austin for your rig.

I agree with an earlier comment in this chain that you may not need the outboard preamp, since the Flex has a pretty nice built-in 6 meter preamplifier. You might find that cascading preamps does little to improve the signal to noise ratio of the received signal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.