Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink latency improvements in 3.2.39

Options

Hi all

Today I was next to a Verizon 5G site and tested SmartLink latency using SmartSDR on my Dell XPS. I was using my iPhone 12 Pro Max as a hotspot.

Here is a quick video showing latency around 25 ms!

Dave wo2x

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Very cool Dave! I am operating remote from ND right now, and it is really working well for me too. I was not getting latency as low as yours, but it was certainly very good.

I will fire it up after dinner tonight to see what I am getting at this campsite. I find that some cell towers out in the middle of nowhere just don't have the BW.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

One of the touted benefits of true 5G is lower latency. The site I was near was evidently upgraded and not just branded 5G like the carriers do playing tricks on customers.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    Options

Ah... I only have 4G, but that is enough!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Even on 4G you should see a reduction in latency with 3.2.37.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    Options

Indeed! I am out at Lake Sakakawea in ND, operating my station in CO and my latency is consistently under 90 ms. No dropouts. Very smooth and pleasant to operate. It is a bit hard to compare latency during other outings as the quality of the cell connection varies so widely, however, it seems like the latest release has removed quite a bit of latency. I am a happy camper (literally...)!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.