Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External wattmeter for Flex remote ops

This maybe wishful thinking, but I’m wondering if anyone knows of a wattmeter that can interface with a flex 6400 so I can see my power output from my amp on SmartSDR? Would like to be able to operate my amp when remote but not knowing what my power output is seems a bit unnerving. I know the PGXL does this but until flex makes a 500ish watt amp, it’s more than I’ll be able spend. The elecraft W2 meter can interface with PC so that maybe a possibility but would involve running SmartSDR and a teamviewer type program at the same time. Any ideas are appreciated!

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

The W2 and Telepost LP100 both have flows available for Node Red. Node Red can run on a PC or Raspberry Pi at radio location and allows interfacing to the radio, wattmeters, rotors, amps and other equipment. The controls and metering show up on a “dashboard that can be viewed on any web browser when remote.

Here is a picture of SmartSDR and a browser running together. Youcan see the KPA1500 metering (would be similar for W2 or LP100). The top section is my Node Red browser dashboard with SmartSDR underneath.

The second picture is SmartSDR for IOS and Node Red dashboard on an iPad remote. For Node Red you just scroll down to see all of the dashboard controls.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Dave,

Thank you for sharing. You have a terrific remote rig! Very aesthetically appealing and capable. So Node Red is something new to me, is it difficult to set up/interface? This does appear to be what I need to do to accomplish my goal of operating fully remote.

thank you very much for the info.

mitch KE0UAS

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

There’s a whole community of people who have created flows for all kinds of equipment and software. Check out https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio

There are also quite a few good videos on YouTube.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@flyham What amp are you running? DDUtil will show you power out and SWR for Elecraft, SPE and some ACOM amps. I have the KPA500 / KAT500 combo and I can easily control / monitor them using DDUtil and TeamViewer. This does require a computer at the radio site.

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Dave, thank you for sharing I will definitely check that out.

KD0RC, I currently have an RM Italy BLA350 Plus. I use it with an MFJ auto tuner. Both have auto frequency/ band sensing but neither have any computer interface what so ever. Would like to upgrade to the elecraft 500 combo like you have at some point. I do have a PC on site but without any interface capabilities I’m limited what I can do.

thanks,

Mitch

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.