Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SWL spots on 6xxx SSDR radios?

Options

After enjoying some of this capability on PSDR on the 3000 and 5000 radios with the later software is there any possibility of adding SWL spot collection to SSDR? I haven’t put much thought into it, just came to mind last night while goofing around with the 6500. I realize SW broadcasting is currently on the decline but there’s still a bunch of interesting stuff out there to peruse, maybe even some digital modes. A SWL version to load or maybe a profile creation optimized for SWL, or maybe an app to interface is what I am imagining. My 6500 is soon to be a secondary rig and I thought this might be a fun use of it or a good project. I do use an outboard tuner sometimes to help the receive a bit but maybe even a SWL non transmit mode with the internal might be a help. Are there filters for ham band optimization that work against doing something like this? Can they be disabled for out of band use? Crazy idea? Thanks for looking... Mike. W1BFA

Best Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, the flex filters are only employed on the contest bands. If the flex on more than one ham band, or out of the contest bands the filters are not used. So, if a frequency in the general coverage frequency range selected there are no filters employed. This will display “WIDE” on the sdr display.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In frstack you can create memories and then spot them so they show up in smartsdr where you can click on them to change to that frequency.

Answers

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Options

I’m learning already... I will maybe have some rainy day time coming up to dig in a little deeper. I see Slicemaster having a place for server entries for callsign spots... I wonder if the format is in any way compatible with the SWL one Darryl uses in Powersdr? I guess first thing is to study up on exactly what I can save in a SWL profile... Maybe use your memory suggestion John to create some virtual SW band selection buttons with it. So much capability with these radios it’s a shame not to get expanded use out of it. I wonder if there would be a market for a receive only “6100” box with a slimmed down price without the PA etc.. and SSDR package geared more toward SWL use, but keep in the remote access? That’s something the Flex folks could work on in their spare time.... I would really enjoy a full featured SWL package at home accessible by my iPad or phone Mike

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Options

Oops... Larry, thanks for the memory suggestion!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.