Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'm thinking about buying a new flex for my dads birthday.

Options

I just ordered a 6400m for myself and I'm thinking about getting one for my dad as I have done in the past , he uses a 5000a and only uses it as a powered VFO for frequency and receive as I do. What do you all recommend? 6400m ? or maybe another model?

Bob K4KBW

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Bob, why not let him use your 6400M a few times? Then he can use SmartSDR and the front panel to determine which is best for him. If he already has a 5000, then he is likely to get along fine with the 6400.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did this video a few years about for those that want to use a remote FlexRadio.

Answers

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If he is no contester and wants to use it alone. The 6400 is fine.

The bigger ones give more possible concurrent users as well as better bandpass filters.

I have no M , and never ever missed it. I have some device built my own for VFO Knobs

and other things when operating at the site for contesting, but such can be bought also.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Or let him login remote an test drive SmartSDR on a pc. If that is ok, and schedules are compatible, just share the one radio. Maybe place it the location with the less noise.

• KK4IBG
    KK4IBG Member ✭✭
    Options

Great Idea's guys , I think I will order a Maestro and let him use that while I'm at work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.