Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SliceMaster, WSJT-X instances, JTAlert and Log4OM

I decided it was time to take advantage of the second slice in my 6400, specifically, to keep track of two bands at once with WSJT-X. I did it the non-Flex way first, with two different shortcuts handing wsjt-x.exe the --rig-name parameter. It worked, but each instance started its own ADIF log with no history... meaning in spite of having JTAlert and Log4OM running, WSJT-X couldn't show me Worked B4 information.

So I decided to try SliceMaster to see if it could simplify the process. Yes, it cleans up a few things. It looks like the instances are started in the same way, with the added benefit that the original WSJT-X ADIF file seem to be copied into the new profile folders. So each slice is up to date when it is loaded the first time...however it doesn't look like there is any magic to update the original file when the slice is closed. So QSOs logged in one slice won't be visible in the other, if the bands are swapped around. Am I right about that?

I'm using Log4OM too, with JTAlert. The information seems to be flowing from WSJT-X through JTAlert and finally to Log4OM. However, I don't think there's any way to have the information flow the other way. That is, Slice 1's WSJT-X instance will never know about the contacts made by the instance in Slice 2. Or so it seems. Dupes are all but assured, eventually.

Is there any way to consolidate the information, to make multiple instances work as accurately as a single instance does?

Best Answer

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓

This is easily done in Windows 10, using the in-built Link Shell Extension. In order to avoid complex command line instructions, there is a little bit of software that does it for you and uses the Window 10 symbolic link feature. Download LSE from https://www.techspot.com/downloads/downloadnow/7107/?evp=55a0483f93407fe3e2cf240b45268c35&file=1 . I have 2 instances of JTDX running and the log file always reflects the QSOs no matter what instance was used to work them and the dupe or worked B4 function is fully up to date.

In summary, all instances of your WSJTx / Slices will know about the contacts in other Slices / WSJTx instances. Basically LSE creates a master file from the log files of the separate instances which is then used by all instances of the JT software. It does not matter if, in future sessions, whether you choose to run 1 or more instances of the JT software, the log file is still maintained correctly.

Answers

• Brock
    Brock Member ✭✭

Hi Erik, this seems like a good way to solve it - I had not seen this utility before, but a symlink makes sense. If I was running Linux, it probably would have occurred to me use "ln -s" eventually, but I have never dug into the Windows file system this deeply to know what is possible.

The only issue I can imagine is if two instances wanted to write at the same time... but the chances of that happening are close to zero! I'll give it a try, using a master copy of the original ADIF file. I feel like the link should actually be a hard link.

For anyone wanting additional detail, the link to the explanation and the download is here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7107-hardlink-shell-extension.html

Given that SliceMaster seems to copy over the original log file when a new instance folder is created, it would be cool if it instead provided a link to the original file, so multiple instances would be managed transparently. But that sort of manipulation might be beyond what many users would be comfortable with.

I'll see if I can do this manually first, then resort to the download if I can't figure it out. It's good to learn something new whenever possible! ;-)

Thanks!

• Brock
    Brock Member ✭✭

Just to follow up on this in case anyone stumbles on this thread... I was able to make it work with a soft symlink in Windows 10, using the mklink <link> <target> command running as administrator. I expect the file Erik provided will work also, but I wanted to try it manually first.

Note that any instance of WSJT-X that didn't log the QSO will have to rescan the file to be up to date again. You can do that manually in the WSJT-X 'settings' 'colors' tab.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

So, if you want to do this via LSE the procedure is as follows. Note this is for JTDX but is easily amended for WSJTx. Also my JTDX instances are named JTDX-RX1 and JTDX-RX2 but of course you can name them anything you like (this is done in the exe properties box and changing the Target by appending -rigname=RX1 and -rigname=RX2 but I won't go into that here.

With LSE installed you navigate to C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local and create a new folder called JTDX Log.  Then go to the C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\JTDX folder and Cut wsjtx_log.adi and Paste it into the new JTDX Log folder. Go to the JTDX-RX1 and JTDX-RX2 folders and delete the wsjtx_log.adi file in each folder.

Go back to the JTDX Log folder and right-click on wsjtx_log.adi and now you will see a new menu item ‘Pick Link Source’. Click then navigate back to the JTDX-RX1 folder, select empty white space and right-click. Click 'Drop As Symbolic Link'. This will create the synchonized log file. You will see that it appears to be 0kb but actually you can open it to reveal a mirror image of the log file in the log folder.

Do as above for both JTDX-RX1 and JTDX-RX2. So for JTDX-RX2 again right-click on the .adi file in JTDX Log. select 'Pick Link Source', go to JTDX-RX2 and right-click and 'Drop As Symbolic Link'. Ensure you choose Symbolic Link and not Hardlink. Unlike WSJTx, JTDX will work with the updated log file immediately. So if you work a DXpedition running on 20m and 15m and work it on RX1 20m, an instance running on RX2 15m will immediately show worked on another band because the colors update immediately as if you only had one instance running. Very clever!

Of course, none of this affects the WSJTx/JTDX logging to your attached logger. Each instance will send QSO data to the logger as normal.

The link Brock gave for further explanations is a good place to start. When you install LSE you immediately see a page of instructions as well.

• W3US
    W3US Member ✭✭

Thank Eric and Brock. I recently started using Slice Master to open multiple instances of JTDX and quickly learned each instance keeps it's own log/adif. The software download and your detailed instructions quickly got everything back on track. I do not log on the same machine as JTDX but port the adif to a Mac. This was a lifesaver. Tnx again. de W3US

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.