Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for Mac and N1MM connecting to single 6400 at the same time

kk7a
kk7a Member ✭✭
I'm in the waiting period between purchasing my 6400 and its construction/arrival. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out different connection scenarios.

I'll be running SmartSDR for Mac but have the occasional need to run N1MM on a Windows computer at the same time connected to the same 6400.

Can I run SmartSDR CAT on the Windows computer while SmartSDR for Mac is doing all the display and computer control functionality?

Thanks, Jim - KK7A

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Jim, I don't have a Mac or N1MM, but I can have two windows computers each with an instance of SmartSDR CAT running. I use the N3FJP ACLog logging SW and can have one instance on one computer and one on the other. I can have any combination of CAT or Flex API connected applications on both computers simultaneously.

So to directly answer your question, yes, I am pretty sure that you can do what you are asking. I say pretty sure, as I can't test your exact configuration.

Answers

• kk7a
    kk7a Member ✭✭
    Excellent! Thanks for the quick response, Len.
    It is hard to change my thinking about the Flex external interface design compared to other radios. The flexibility of connections appears to be amazing. Really looking forward to getting some first hand exposure to it.

73, Jim - KK7A
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yep! I am really happy with mine. I think you will enjoy exploring the functions of your new radio. I am still in awe of some of its capabilities. Just today, a bunch of thunderstorms went by (within 50 miles or so). I could see the lightning strikes on my panadapter, but they barely bothered me (extremely weak sigs would have been impacted to some degree). The AGC works sooo differently than in a traditional superhet radio that you really need to re-think (in a good way!) how you operate. This is how CW ops must have felt when transitioning over from spark-gap.

BTW, I see from your QRZ page that you are from Meridian, ID. In the mid to late 70's, I used to route the school busses there. Small world...

• kk7a
    kk7a Member ✭✭
    Yes, it is a small world, Len. I've lived in the Boise, Eagle, Meridian area my whole life.

That MiniMaestro you built sure look cool. I've ordered one of the FlexControl boxes that is supposed to get here before the 6400 does. I just think I need at least a VFO knob. I've see several people using various MIDI controllers to do some control as well. Lots of options.