Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External Memory Antenna Tuner Recommendation for Flex 6600M

On my Flex 6600M, I have Antenna 1 connected to a Elecraft KPA 500 / KAT 500 combination that works really well. As I tune the VFO on slice A, the KAT 500 tuner automatically selects the right memory settings WITHOUT me having to provide RF. Of course, RF was needed to initially establish the KAT500 settings across the band.

I would like to do the same thing for Antenna 2 but limit it to 100 watts as I do not have an amp on that antenna port. I could, of course, get another KAT500 but that gets a little pricey. I am wondering if there are any good lower price EXTERNAL ATU solutions that can call up the tuner parameters WITHOUT me having to provide a shot of RF? Seems like some of the tuners I see have cables for ICOM and Yaesu but nothing I can find for FLEX.

By the way, the reason I do not use the internal FLEX ATU is that I have switchable bandpass filters connected to both antenna outputs on the Flex. The ATU really needs to be on the other side of these filters that connect to the actual antenna. Therefore, I run the internal FLEX ATU bypassed on both slices.

So - any recommendations? Like I said, I may need to bite the bullet and purchase another Elecraft KAT500 but would like to see if there is a less expensive solution since I will only be running 100W.

AL, K0AD

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Al,

I'm not sure if I follow you. You said "I would like to do the same thing for Antenna 2 but limit it to 100 watts".

Antenna 2 is limited to 100 watts.

Any tuner that is able to receive Kenwood CAT data from the radio would work on this antenna port. When you add a USB/RS232 device on the radio (an amazing feature of the FlexRadios) you can have that CAT port dedicated to the operation frequency/assignment for ANT 2. Check out section 34 in the SmartSDR UserGuide for all the options.

You can also use this feature to control your band pass filters, although, I am not sure why you have them since we have contest grade band pass filters built int the radio. Do you really require them?

Mike va3mw

• Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭

Mike;

Thanks for your comments.

What I meant was that I have Flex Antenna 1 output connected to an Elecraft KPA 500 amp and KAT500 External Antenna Tuner so my ultimate output is 500 watts for that slice. Everything is automated using the Flex USB outputs so it all works really slick. For the Flex Antenna 2 output, I do NOT have an amp or external antenna tuner. So my ultimate output from Slice 2 is 100 watts.

I have seen one lower power tuner that does have a Kenwood cable so I will check that one out.

I should probably mention that I operate SO2R extensively with the Flex 6600M.

I use the switchable Dunestar filters for extra protection since I am doing so much SO2R operation. Also I use a Triplexer feeding the same yagi for 10, 15, and 20. Bandpass filters are highly recommend when using the Triplexer. Having said that, are you saying that the bandpass filters built into the Flex would give me enough protection. I would very much like to get rid of my external bandpass filters if I don't really need them with the Flex 6600M.

Al, K0AD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.