Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Frequency Drift 6700

Options
KM4CQG
KM4CQG Member ✭✭
edited April 2021 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Any Thoughts?

Mostly operate digital and lately noticed a drifting on FT8 thought it was a time sync issue.

Switched to a better Time Clock management system.

However today on Voice I can hear a error on Phone all bands that is -.050k error that occurs after Radio on for over say 20 Min.

Ran a frequency Calibration on 10 MHZ and Offset came up with 3522.

As a test I shut the 6700 down for 20 min upon restart all is normal again on Startup.

I'm running Hardware Version 3.2.231.2837 Software is 3.2.31 with Windows 8

No GPS installed and No Focus helper.

I did open a help ticket this morning 4/24/21

Did a search and saw this is a possible issue?

FRS troubleshot the problem and it turned out to be the Reference Oscillator. 

Ian

KM4CQG

Comments

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ian when I have unexplained issues like you describe I backup my profiles and do a full reset of the Radio. I also reboot the computer. This may resolve your issue.

Ronald

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

Ron

Thanks gave your suggestion a shot reset and and reloaded and as B4 it was fine on Startup but drifted after about 10 min.

Ian

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

WOW...I was hoping for a quick fix...we can always hope...right? I hope this is something that can be resolved thru the Help Desk.

73, Ronald

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check it with a hard reset and DON'T reload your profiles for a while and see if does it.

If you have a GPS installed in the radio or an external GPS reference connected disable them, if not then it is probably the TCXO has gone bad and will need to be sent into flex for repair.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Bret

I will try another Hard Reset without the import of Profiles.

The fact that when it starts up it's on Freq then 10 to 20 min drifts off doesn't sit well for a quick fix.

Ian

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately Ian that may be the case.

One thing you want to be careful of and when having ANY type of weirdness usually not to reload "Preferences" when you load the Profiles when your having issues.

I have found this especially important when loading a updated version of SmartSDR as that can really goober things up.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

Bret

I can see how that can happen. I have been on the 6700 everytime I'm in FL since the update 3.2.31 and it's been stable up until the past 2 weeks. I 1st noticed the issue on FT8 and thought it was a clock issue. See Photo of the drift.

Tried the reset again with no Profiles unfortunately it looks like a trip back to Flex.

Ian

KM4CQG

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have had this happen with my 6700 over a year ago, lucky for me restarting everything fixed it.

About 2 weeks ago I went to operate FT8 and wasn't able to decode signals and notced all the signals swerving left and right like a snake. I tried the usual restart everything but that didn't fix it, I did a factory reset and that didn't fix it. I checked WWV and seen the same issue in all modes. I decided to connect my Trimble GPSDO that I had not been using due to the fact it would not stay locked for any longer than 24 hours without loosing lock. This solved the problem it straightened out the issue so I was thinking my internal refrence had an issue. I disconnected the external GPSDO and now the internal refrence was working properly again, no more left to right snake action and signals were decoding again. I have no idea how that fixed it but it did, then I started thinking I will leave the external GPSDO connected and see how it works and weather it would stay locked, maybe v3.2.31 would allow it to stay locked and sure enough the external 10 Mhz GPSDO has been 100% now.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

6700 uses a TCXO so my question is. And even a TCXO can have some infinitesimal amount of drift, that would not be noticeable. So a couple of questions. Was this drift noticed on a cold start of the radio? Did this happen with the radio having been continuously on for 24+ hours? If cleared by a software reset, then it was perhaps bad start up calibration data. Or as stated bad profile/preferences data. If not corrected by software restarts/resets, then it may be a defective TCXO. In any case a talk with Flex tech support is a good idea.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Gentlemen.

The drift seems to start after startup have not left radio on for more than 5 hours.

I haven't reloaded the Software but have done several Factory resets at this time.

6700 is about 6 years old no issues till now.

Ian

Km4CQG

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ian, leave it on for at least 24+ hours and see what happens. Software resets may be correcting the problem only to be fighting an actual TCXO problem. Let us know what happens.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ian,

Just to be sure... If you go to Settings, Radio Setup, RX tab, the TCXO option is selected, right? If GPSDO or External 10 MHz are selected, that could be the problem. Also make sure that it says that the TCXO is locked. If all of this is OK, then I think it is time to submit a help desk ticket if you have not already done so.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The 6400 and 6600 models are the only radios that have the source selection in the RX tab.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Ah, thanks Larry.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I converted this to a support ticket.

This discussion has been closed.