Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I have lost the out put power on my flex 6400. How do I get it back?

:( I have out put power on all bands but 40M and 20M. Dont know hw to get power back.
Also, the display settings zero them selves out and have to reset them frequently .
Tagged:

Answers

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Dan the very first thing I would do is backup your profiles and do a reset...reload your profiles and see if that resolves the issue...

Ronald

• Dan
    Dan Member
    Im sure I could find it some where ... but, how do you do a reset?
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Perform a Comprehensive Cold Boot and Factory Reset of the radio

Please pay attention to the "wait times" that are part of the steps listed below. These are important to ensure the radio resets properly.

• Power off the radio by pressing and releasing the power button. Allow it to completely power down before continuing by waiting for the power LED to turn off (or amber if a GPSDO is installed). If pressing and releasing the power button does not shut down the radio, press and hold the power button until the radio shuts down.
    • Once the radio is powered off, wait for 2 minutes to allow for all processors to properly shut down.
    • Remove the power cable from the radio for at least 30 seconds and then reconnect it. It is important to remove the power cable from the radio and not just turn off the power supply. 
    • After reconnecting the DC power cable, wait for 2 minutes to allow for the internal PSoC processor to boot up completely before continuing.

For FLEX-6700 and FLEX-6500:

• Press and hold the OK button while pressing and releasing the Power button.
    • Release the OK button once the power LED turns white and allow the radio to continue booting normally.

For FLEX-6300, FLEX-6400(M), and FLEX-6600(M):

• Press and hold the Power button for approximately 5 seconds until the power button or power LED turns white. Release the power button and allow the radio to continue booting normally.

Ronald

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭
    I cannot power down my Flex radio it stops short of being off and the light is amber. wont allow me to power it off completely.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2022

Hi Ted, do you have the GPSDO installed? If so, the solid amber light means that the radio is powered off, but the GPSDO is left on for stability.

When the optional GPS Disciplined Oscillator is installed: 
    • SOLID AMBER: Radio is off, GPSDO is powered for stability 
    • FLASHING YELLOW: GPSDO is warming up 
    • SOLID YELLOW: GPSDO is “holdover” mode (has lost satellites) 
    • SHORT FLASH BLUE: GPSDO is locking 
    • LONG FLASH BLUE: GPSDO is in “hold phase” mode 
    • SOLID BLUE: GPSDO is locked 

If you don't have the GPSDO, then go to the Radio Setup panel, GPS tab and click the Uninstall button.

• Hal Massey
    Hal Massey Member ✭✭

Ted,

Amber means your Flex has been configured for an external GPSDO. You can easily reconfigure it. Sometimes owners accidentally turn on that configuration even if they do not have an external GPSDO.

Dan,

Check TX Transmit Settings Menu. It looks like a spreadsheet. Make sure you do not have certain bands disabled or the power settings greatly reduced in that menu.

Regards

-Hal / WB6NNR

• KD0RC

HI Hal, slight correction... The amber light means that the internal GPSDO is installed, not an external one.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭
    POWER
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

remove the 13.8v power from the radio, you may want to do a hard reset.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

As usual Flex community comes through again. My original reason for a power down was because I was unable to

to get power output, I took the advice of checking the GPS settings and uninstalled it. At that point I was able to power off and now am back on the air. Thanks to all that responded. My next project is to figure out the profile

procedures at my age all this SDR is very stressful and confusing again thanks to all who helped me out.

N8TJE Ted

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

BTW: When the AMBER light is ON, the radio is still powered OFF, it just thinks a GPSDO is installed and the GPSDO is powered up to stay "ready" So for practical purposes, when performing a Factory Reset or Cold Boot, AMBER light means OFF.

But you still need to pull the 12V plug according to the timing recommendations in the process. Simply power-cycling the power supply often does not allow for a complete reset because many power supplies take a while to ramp their voltage down all the way to zero volts because their filter capacitors maintain a low voltage for a while. This can prevent the PSOC processor from properly resetting.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

Thanks Ken

I've got that. My power out now works and I m grateful for the help.

Thanks again.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

I have recently purchased a Mike cord for my Flex 6400 so that I could use it plugged into the Maestro

Well when I plugged it into the Maestro it wouldn't transmit. The MOX lit up but I had no Power out is there some setting that I'm missing. Ted N8TJE

• KD0RC

Hi Ted, do you have the right mic selected?

If so, does your mic require a bias voltage (electret or condenser mic)?

There are probably other things to check, but I would start with these two. These screenshots are from SmartSDR, so you would have to use the Maestro equivalent screens.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

My Mic is the FHM-3 and was never changed. All I did was switch cords.

Thanks for getting back to me Len

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

My Mic is the FHM-3 and was never changed. All I did was switch cords.

• KD0RC
    edited April 2022

Hi Ted, There are two mic inputs on the Maestro. You need to be sure that you select the one that you are plugged into. One is an RJ45 (M-MIC1) connector and one is a 1/8 inch plug (M-MIC2).

EDIT: Also make sure that you turn the BIAS on for the FHM-3 mic.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

Hi Len

I do have the correct mic input selected and the Bias is on and still no output Dont know what else I could try

I do have output when Im on CW but no output on SSB. What else is there.

• KD0RC

HI Ted, I would submit a help desk ticket. Flex support will know what else to check.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Wonder if the cord is defective

the Maestro RJ-45 connector should have a RJ-45 on both sides if your plugged into MIC 1

maybe try swapping ends with the RJ-45

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

Thank you Len and Bret I will swap cord ends to see if it works then I will submit a ticket.

I dont think its a bad mic but it could be. thanks again for your heip

Happy Easter to all. Ted N8TJE

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Another thought,

I would even check with some of your buddy's around your area and see if they have a Yaesu Radio like the FT857, FT897, FT450, or FLEX-3000, FLEX1500 and Many others that have the exact same Mic requirements other then they may have more buttons on the MIC but still work.

I always buy the CHEEP Yaesu MH-31 Mics off of EBAY that are NEW not used like the (https://www.ebay.com/itm/202620830402?hash=item2f2d2482c2:g:C5sAAOSwdfVchVA~) and they have worked great for my projects Just make sure you buy the ones with the 8 pin RJ-45 type connector because there are also the round 8 pin foster plug MIC's that look the same other then the Plug and work great for the Older 6700, 6500, 6300, and legacy Flex 5K.

The Yaesu Mic's look exactly the same as the FLEX MIC's and with the correct EQ settings these MIC's sound very good.

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

Richard I do have a FT 891 Mic that looks exactly like the Flex FHM 3 I installed it in my Flex and it worked. Thank you so much for the suggestion and all of the other help from the community. I have placed an order with Flex for another mic and will be receiving it soon. Thanks again.

Ted. N8TJE

• Ted
    Ted Member ✭✭

After receiving my new mic and resolving the new update ver. 3.3.29.7670

I'm still unable to get RF output. I have the mic on the Maestro and Mic one selected still no output.

is there another setting I'm overlooking? I tried different level adjustments but still no output.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.