Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and 6400 connectivity

Martin Pozesky
Martin Pozesky Member ✭✭
I just bought a used 6400 and Maestro on the used market from reliable sources....I have previously owned and used a 6300 and been a ham for 60 years!!. My only hope of operating these days is through remote operation. So I just bought a Maestro Type A ifor use in one room of the house and the radio in another. I have tried both wired and wifi connections. I AM HAVING "INTERMITTANT PROBLEMS" where the units lose connectivity.. So here are my questions::
1. Should I keep both the radio and Maestro powered up from my power supplies 24/7??I it seems to lose connectivity from time to time particularly if I shut the radio down, turn off the power supply for a while and then start things up again. Initial connectivity turns out to require several restarts of the radio and/or Maestro.
2.The on off switch on the radio turns "amber" when I turn the radio off but leave it powered up......is that normal??

I have been fiddling now or three days and not sure if I have a radio problem, Maestro problem, or operator problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Marty K3KYH.......cell...301 873 1829...K3KYH@Yahoo.com
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@Martin Pozesky

First, further debugging is required. What version of SmartSDR are you running.

Connect the Maestro to the 6400 directly with a LAN cable. Turn on both and see if you are having the same connectivity problems. If yes, try a new LAN cable. If still failing, please open a support ticket.

Next, we need to know your network topology.

If not, then we need to look elsewhere. How does the data flow from the Maestro to the radio? Each LAN cable and network switch can be part of the problem. Is the Maestro on Wifi? If yes, then the issue may be with your WiFi (and, being close to the Access Point makes no or little difference).

To answer your questions: Your choice. It doesn't make any difference. My radios have been on non-stop since 2013.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/5480522/what-are-the-flex-6000-front-panel-led-indications

Amber - SOLID AMBER = Radio off, GPS powered for stability.

Let us now now your test goes.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Rather than WiFi, i use tplink Ethernet over home power wiring. Works well for me. If WiFi turns out to be the issue and wired Ethernet is difficult, this maybe an option.

Answers

• Martin Pozesky
    Martin Pozesky Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your recommendations. I'll keep trying. Regarding the amber light, I don't have a GPS unit so I guess it doesn't make any difference if its powered up. Thanks
  • flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"This is what Flex recommended to me for the amber light issue. Ive had the same issue on my 6400 w\/out GPSDO...\n“The Amber light indicates that the optional GPSDO is powered up for stability, even though the radio is turned off.\nSince you do not have the optional GPSDO, then it means that the internal software \"switch\" has gotten \"glitched\" and thinks that the GPSDO is installed.\nOpen \"Settings > Radio Setup > GPS\" and select \"Uninstall\" to turn the internal software switch OFF.\nThis will resolve the Amber light issue.”\nI actually haven’t had a chance to try this yet but it make sense. Hope it helps. \n"}]
  • Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

FWIW, I leave my 6400 powered on 24x7. I turn on and off my Maestro, iPad, iPhone, and PC stations depending on if I am using them with the rig. I’m 99% CW (and 1% regret).

Good luck with your setup. My experience with Flex is if you can’t solve the issue, open a support ticket. Their support desk is top notch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.