Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Palstar and 6600M

VE3DZP
VE3DZP Member ✭✭

I am unable to get the LA-1K amp to see the USB cable from my 6600M. Have searched the forums and they all end up in a dead end. Has anyone been successful in getting the amp to see the radio? Mark at Palstar was no help either.

Gary

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

I was not successful interfacing the LA-1K to the Flex for band selection even though the manual does give the codes for Yeasu, Icom and Keenwood:

Transceiver frequency control of the LA-1K is not necessary. I found the "RF detect" feature of the LA-1K worked very fast to sense the frequency and tune the amp. Here are the times for sense and switching given in the manual. I used 30ms delay in the Flex TX settings and it worked very nicely.

I no longer use a LA-1K but did build a Node-Red based interface to the LA-1K and the other ham likes it a lot. It is most useful for remote operation, but I would not recommend it for local operation, per my previous positive experience with RF Sense.

Alan WA9WUD

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

Hi Alan, ya I have been thru all of this I just want to go direct direct keying to maybe help with QSK

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The LA-1K should use a straight thru DB-9 male to female cable to a USB to serial cable with FTDI chipset.

Check your baud rate. The other option is using the amp to Raspberry Pi and Pi getting freq info from Flex. The Node Red flow Alan refers to was written by Alan and I to interface the LA-1K to Ham Radio Deluxe for connection to an Icom 756 Pro III.

The other thing is amp firmware needs to be at least 1.03H

Dave wo2x

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

Hello David, I have all that ( pins 3,4 & 6 grd.) and the Flex sees the cable ok.

• David Decoons, wo2x

You should be using the RS232 band control connector, not transceiver connector.

straight through DB 9 male to female to the FTDI USB to serial adapter.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x

Also check firmware. Needs to be 1.03h or newer.

Dave

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

David I am using the "RS232 band control connector".

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021

Maybe I am doing it wrong but I have my LA1K connected to the Radio Interface connector on the amplifier. Using the Flex FTDI C232HMEDHSL-0 cable. Works fine.

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

ROSS! your the man. I think I bought the wrong cable. Digi-Key has none in stock but ordered one from Mouser. Have certainly got enough information now to to publish the correct way of doing it. Will say thanks all who took the time to input info and wish me luck that this one works. Will let everyone know the results.

73 Gary

VE3DZP

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

Yes this works fine

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.