Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Suggestion on the operation of the ATU

Options

After some tests, I realized that a few simple updates will make the ATU more functional.

After turning on the ATU, it tunes based on the frequency you are listening to. But if you change the frequency in the same band, the software will continue to display "Success", even if it is no longer tuned. My suggestion is: every time you change the frequency, the Success option is turned off. If the ATU option is on and you stop moving the frequency, after a while, maybe 5 seconds, it starts to tune back to the new frequency. That way, you will always ensure that the antenna is tuned (if possible).

Marcio - PY5PR

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Marcio

What version of SmartSDR are you using?

• Marcio
    Marcio Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW , version 3.2.31.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Got it. I will pass that on. 73

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmmm, maybe I misunderstand the workings of the ATU. I thought once the ATU had 'tuned' to a given frequency, it was good for about 200khz or so either side of the tuned frequency. It would only require 're tune' (i.e. no longer showing 'Success') if you tuned beyond that boundary and it didn't already have a memorized tuning for the new frequency.

Did I get that right?

• Marcio
    Marcio Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm not 100% sure in my answer, @ VE7ATJ_Don, but it seems that the further you get out of the tuned frequency, the SWR gets higher and higher, even if "Success" continues to appear, I mean, the ATU does not automatically correct the difference. In my case, at 80m, a small difference in frequency leads to a high ROE.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

You do want to check if your are in ATU MEM mode or manual mode.

Read section 24 of the SmartSDR Manual (or the Maestro manual). There are a number of conditions

After the ATU has found a successful match, the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) values are valid for a 200 kHz frequency span centered at the frequency the ATU tuning operation was initiated, or +/- 100 KHz. Once you tune the frequency of the transmit Slice beyond that range, the ATU will be put into Bypass mode unless there is a previously saved ATU memory at the new frequency.

For high Q antennas that have a very narrow low SWR range, ATU memories may be saved every 10 kHz for a very granular ATU memory profile for that particular antenna.

• Marcio
    Marcio Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW, I am using the MEM mode. I detected this behavior, but there are several situations, changing band or frequency, where Success is appearing on the screen, but when you try to transmit, the SWR is above 2. The suggestion I gave is to try to resolve or minimize this situation. But it's still a suggestion ... 73s

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.