Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best amp

Looking for an Amp for my 6400M. I know Flex has its own but is their another out there that is just as good or best amp?

Tagged:

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

"Best" is pretty subjective... I have an Elecraft KPA 500 / KAT 500 combo that works really well with my Flex 6400. I like it a lot and am very glad that I got it. The amp and tuner interface seamlessly with the transceiver - it is as if they were designed together. This combo is good for me because I do not do SO2R contesting. I also like to bring my Flex station camping, so an amp that runs from 120 VAC is important.

If you want to run SO2R or have two radios connected to one amp. the PGXL is probably the best possible option. If you are looking for legal limit, the Elecraft KPA 1500 is another great choice that integrates well with the Flex (probably not as well as the PGXL, however).

There are other choices available, but this is what I am familiar with.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Let the “amp wars” begin :-) As Len said, “best” is entirely relative. If you want to run fully remote, your choices are entirely different than if the amp will be in front of you.

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭
    I run SO2R with the 6600. I did a lot of research on amps before I bought the PGXL. If you want SO2R the PGXL is the ONLY way to go for simplicity. Running 2 amps for SO2R adds a lot of complexity cables addition software and desktop space requirements but is do able.
    If SO2R is not in your future the PGXL is an awesome amp but you have many choices including a large used market.
    You need to consider if tube amps are ok for you ... if you want solid state instant on ... key down power output ... tuner built in ... portability ... 120 / 220 options ... the sky is the limit on choices based on your needs

good luck it's a fun project

Ian VE3JI
  • W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭

I have owned an SPE Expert 1.5 FA amp for six months and it's outstanding!

Best 73's W2JV

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Is there one just as good? NO

Peter

• aa3ssradio
    aa3ssradio Member ✭✭

There is no best . . . It is either good or it is a DOG. I have a fellow ham friend of mine who purchased a NEW SPE 1.5k and it has been back to Texas 5 times in 8 months for repairs. I cancelled my order for mine and purchased a Mercury III amp kit. Just waiting for it to arrive.

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

Has anyone tried the Palstar Amplifier? I bought the Flex partially because it is designed and made in America. Both Flex and Elecraft use foreign made amplifiers, I would like to buy American for an amplifier as well.

Steve KD2OM

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Final assembly of my KPA 500 / KAT 500 combo was right here in my shack in Colorado, USA...

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I love using my Alpha 89 running QSK and legal limit if I ever saw the need (I have not).

Relatively cheap .. and olde school. It has big knobs that must be tuned when you change bands.

But I actually enjoy the process ...

Daniel - W7NGA

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

it is not a question. Every operator always has !! the very best equipment at home, better than what everyone else has - until he buys something new, then it is the best again

Sorry but the questions about the best amplifier or mic or speaker or ..... are all nonsense and there will NEVER be a correct answer and if you ask 10 operators you get 20 different answers. You are just as smart afterwards as you were before

A german saying goes: my cat eats mice - i don't like them!

😀 ... for me best PA is RF2K-S

73 Chris

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭

I have been using a Palstar LA1K with my 6400M for 2 years, it works great. Made in America is important to me. That is one of the reasons why I bought a Flex.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

Ross, dream further !

Your made the Joke of the day :-)

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Best, well yes that is in the eye of the beholder. When Flex announced they were working on an amplifier that caught my attention because they don't put out nothing but the best. I asked myself what can be done or improved over current solid-state amplifiers besides using a newer generation of devices. My hopes were reliability as I have been hearing on the bands, many amps having to get finals replaced. Won't mention any brands. The PowerGeniusXL has been out for sometime and I have heard absolutely nothing about finals blowing. Another sign I was looking for is what is being sold in the used market and I have not seen any come up for sale in the usual sites. That told me for the most part those buying them or keeping them. Recently, a few key pieces fell into place, sold off some shack equipment including an Alpha 87A, and pulled the trigger, now that I have one, I can proudly say in my eyes it is the best. For my operating conditions it suits my needs to the tee. I search and pounce most of the time when I do operate so having to constantly manually re-tune was not for me, period. I've had Ameritron and Yaesu solid-state amplifiers but this is the first legal limit solid-state and I can't be any happier with my decision. My only regret is not being an early adapter as they are all getting the promised Tuner Genius.

• Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭

It depends on the intended use. I use my solid state amp for cw/ssb but I use my Alpha 9500 for digital modes.

Solid state amps are convenient and have their place but are very noisy for FT8 etc. For FT8 a tube amp is the only way to go.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.