Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Should I buy the extended warrantee?

I am about ready to order a Flex 6400. Do you think the extended warrantee is a good idea or are failures so uncommon that it isn't necessary?

Best Answer

• Dave KC9EI
    Dave KC9EI Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

My 6600M had one capacitor go bad while under warranty. My only cost was the shipping. 18000+ contacts later, it's still running fine and out of warranty. I think I'm good whatever happens at this point :)

Answers

• Andrew Mitchell
    Andrew Mitchell Member ✭✭
    Like buying insurance - :)

https://www.flexradio.com/products/flex-6400-extended-warranty/
  • kk7a
    kk7a Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Andrew.
    Just have to weight the risk and the $250 charge. Most electronics fail within the first year anyway if they are going to, so I lean away from extended warrantees. Guess I have 30 days to decide after the purchase.
  • KØKQ
    KØKQ Member ✭✭
    1. As pointed out above, most failures will occur during the warranty period.
    2. This is reliable hardware- my 6300 has been on six years* (only turned off during lightning threats), no failures.
    3. Bought a 6500 local estate sale, 'Craig's List' no failures, highly reliable.
    4. The nature of a forum like this- you will see postings of failures rather than long term successes.
    5. I did not buy an extended warranty for my new 6600, Here's the logic- Use that money to someday to flow back to Flex for new software updates/features.

Dave

*Have always placed Flex radios on laptop cooling pad.

• Arnold Goldman
    Arnold Goldman Member ✭✭

i bought the warranty; have had to send radio back twice; first was right out of the box speaker didnt work and just last month sdr card had to be exchanged; both were under original warranty but i think in the future for he $$ you are spending its worth the risk (just my opinion) love it so far; am used to boatanchors like efj, collins etc... but have gotten back into radio operating remotely from my office in queens nyc and from fiance appt in manhattan stay safe

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

A previous company I worked for, we made a lot of profit on extended warranties.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.