Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Headset YAMAHA CM500 settings

Hello to all,

I bought a YMAHA CM500 headset and want to operate it on my Flexradio 6400

The headset has an in-line battery pack which is correct connected to the radio.

With the mic profile "Default FHM-2 DX" I am able to let the headset "work". PTT is via footswitch by the way.

But...the ouptut is not ok. It only works if you press the mic directly to your lips with a normal speach volume. So my question: Is someone out there who works with this headset succesfull and could give hints to the correct setup settings??

Have to say BIAS is on, +20db is on, mic gain far to the right level but I am still struggeling with it.

Help would be really appreciated...

73 Jan,DL7JAN

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jan, I have a CM500 and have it set up like this:

BIAS ON (I do not use the battery, but did wire up an adapter cable with a .1 uf capacitor to block DC from the mic element)

+20dB OFF

mic gain 45 (for my voice and distance of mic to my mouth)

TX EQ OFF (it seems to be just right for my voice)

Adapter wired like this:

Flex

Tip Mic+, BIAS (+3VDC)

Ring Mic-

Sleeve GND

CM500

Tip Mic+ to .1uf cap to Flex Tip

Ring BIAS to Flex Tip

Sleeve to Flex Ring and Flex Sleeve

• ShawnQuinn
    ShawnQuinn Member ✭✭

Hi Jan

I use a Yamaha CM500 headset with my 6400m and love the TX audio results. Keep in mind this is subjective of course. The headset mic is very hot and does not need much gain. It is a condenser mic however, some of the package does say dynamic mic, but that is not the case it is an electret condenser mic. So you will need the radio Bias turn on to power the mic. You do not need the battery inline.

On the mic connection to the radio 1/8  3.5mm jack, the mic jack on my 6400m was wired differently so you need to make up an adapter or buy one. ”The new 6400(M)/6600(M) models use a 1/8” TRS jack on the rear for pseudo-balanced mic connections. The tip is Mic(+) and passes +3vdc when “bias” is activated in the SmartSDR settings (Phone/CW tab). The ring is Mic (-) and the sleeve is Ground.

I wired a new adapter consisting of a 1/8” TRS jack (to receive the mic plug from the CM500), three wires, some heat shrink tubing to cover the wires, a 10μF capacitor and a 1/8” TRS plug that goes into the 1/8” TRS mic jack on the 6400(M)/6600(M).”

Below is links to both.

Make Adapter: https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/7700793/wiring-a-yamaha-cm500-headset-for-a-6400-m-or-6600-m

Buy Adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/Hosa-YMM-261-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O5H/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hosa+ymm-261+3.5mm&qid=1617378552&sr=8-1

When setting up you audio use the level meter and keep it between -10 to -5db, try to keep it out of the red end of scale. If I use the +20dB setting my mic level is 10. Without +20dB is 40. I use PROC on and NOR settings.

Here is my transmit eq settings: Enabled

63hz  1dB

125hz   -1dB

250hz  0dB

500hz   3dB

1khz      5dB

2khz      7dB

4khz     5dB

8khz     2dB

This is truly subjective, maybe use these as a starting point and tune to your liking. As everyone you ask will give a different answer.

Good luck I also have the Radio Sport headset with m350 and m360 mic elements and I prefer the Yamaha cm500 headset, their lighter and I like the mic on cm500 better. The ear muffs on Radio Sport however are far superior, but I miss the supper call when wearing them. HiHi

Shawn

Ve3xyy

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Depending on the transmit bandwidth selected, be cautious about boosting highs. For example, if the transmit bandwidth goes above 3000 hz, boosting highs above that frequency can cause clipping and distortion artifacts.

• KE7FD
    KE7FD Member ✭✭
    The adapter at Amazon looks to just be a y-adapter no DC blocking capacitor.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.