Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Prerecording (and playing back) a CQ

VE7ATJ_Don
VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Sorry for the newbie question (I'm awaiting the imminent arrival of my first Flex - a 6500), but having read through the user manual (v1.7.30) twice, I don't see any reference (or instructions) as to how to record and playback a CQ.

I see references to recording and playing back received audio, but nothing about how to reset up a CQ and attach it to a button so I can send it repeatedly.  I know it's there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Help!

Don VE7ATJ

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I use N1MM, you pre-record all your needed sounds, save them in the proper dirctory and under the proper names, and use the function keys to start the transmission. You can set the repeat time as well.

You can evensend the exchange and serial number if you need to, that takes a bit more work.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Don,

Like Machael said, you can use N1MM to perform that task.  If your into contesting on any mode (cw, digital, ssb, etc.) you'll want to install N1MM. 

You can also use a program called Audacity.  This lets you record anything you want, save it to your computer and play it back at any time.

There is also a built in recorder within SmartSDR, either on your computer or the Maestro.  For SSB, it lets you record a single message and play it back at any time.  It is the same recorder that you use to record someone over the air and play their transmission back to them.  If your using SmartSDR on your computer you will notice each slice has a red dot and a small green arrow under it.  You key up your microphone, click on the red dot and record your message and then click on the red dot again to stop the recording and let up off of the PTT.  To play it, you can press the PTT and click on the green arrow, or you can put the radio into VOX mode and every time you press the green arrow, it will play the message and key up the rig.

The Maestro also has this functionality.   The red dot (record) and the green arrow (play) can be found under the Frequency menu.  At least that's what I call it.  You tap the screen where the frequency is on a particular panadapter and up comes a menu.  You can also get to the menu by pressing and holding either of the tuning dials.  You will see the red dot and green arrow in the top right side of the menu.  It works the same on the Maestro. VOX on the Maestro is found only when your mode is set to SSB.  You tap on the red "RF PWR" on the display or press and hold the MIC/SPEED/PWR knob on the right side of the Maestro.  VOX is found in the center of the menu.

Norm - W7CK 
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

OK, thanks Nick.  So there doesn't appear to be a configurable, permanent 'memory' which you can program with your CW and/or Phone CQ (or other message) directly within SmartSDR. (for now, anyway).  It wasn't so much for contesting, hence a reluctance to go the N1MM route, but that is definitely an alternative.

Thanks again.

Don VE7ATJ

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Don, For CW, have you looked at the CWX. Feature in SSDR? You can program buttons / function keys to send CQ, or your reply. CQ de CALL 599 TU Etc The speed ic also configurable and can be different than the speed of the internal keyer. Is this what you were referring to? Regards Al / NN4ZZ
  • W6NEK
    W6NEK Member
    edited July 2016
    For CW mode you can use the SmartSDR CWX Panel. You can have up to 12 (F1-F12) keyboard memory keys with canned CW messages. See SmartSDR Software User Manual "CWX Panel".

Frank - W6NEK  
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi Frank, Also there is a companion program made by K9DUR from RNA consulting that works very well for playing back canned messages , It has 10 Memory locations.
    It will also do the PTT and a repeat function as well. 
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

OK, thanks guys.  CWX looks like what I was thinking of for code.  I'll take a look at the Guide.

Nothing like that for voice, eh?  Bret -- I'll take a look at the app from K9DUR.  Thanks.

• sv2bxz
    sv2bxz Member, Unconfirmed
    [{"insert":"Hi I have a problem in ssb with n1mm ,I press f1 and play the message with echo !!!! Any clue ?\n"}]
  • sv2bxz
    [{"insert":"Hi I have a problem in ssb with n1mm ,I press f1 and play the message with echo !!!! Any clue ?\n"}]
  • sv2bxz

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.