Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Kan de CW snelheid in SmartSDR niet instellen, alleen in N1MM en Winkeykeyer.

Cees
Cees Member ✭✭
Hi, N1MM and WinkeyUSB CW users,

The FLEX6400 works fine and N1MM communicates optimally with Winkeyer USB.
Unfortunately the Winkeyer does not work with SmartSDR, that is to say not with regard to the CW signal speed setting, that is only possible with the keyer itself or in the N1MM window.

I would like it, if I could also set this signal speed in the SmartSDR window.
Anyone a tip for me to fix this ??
thanks in advance for any response.

73, Cees, PA3CVI

Comments

  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Dayton, OHMember ✭✭✭

    Am I correct that you would like the CW words-per-minute setting established by your external Winkeyer to show within SmartSDR? If so, I don’t believe this is possible.

  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Broomfield, COMember ✭✭✭✭

    Hi Cees, My homebrew TeensyMaestro has a keyer built in that does control the CW speed of the Flex. Conversely, the Flex controls the speed of the keyer. If you were not interested in the rest of the TeensyMaestro functionality, it could be built with just the keyer controls and used the way you describe for under $50 USD. Note that my keyer does not interface with N1MM, so for that reason, this may not be suitable for your needs.

    For more info:

    KD0RC/Teensy-Maestro-for-Flex-6000-radios: TeensyMaestro - a Teensy-based set of controls for Flex 6000 series radios. (github.com)

    If you decide to try this, I would more than happy to help.

  • Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭

    I assume Cees comments are due to my questions made in the facebook group, and a previously posting here: https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8023533/ssdr-v2-4-10-and-winkeyer-oddities#latest

    What we see is that most external programs fail to set the internal Winkeyer speed, but N1MM do manage to do so. I was hesitant at first to ask for help as I thought I was the only one noticing this. But seeing replies on facebook several other have noticed this. Response from Flex is that the code has "not changed for ages" regarding Winkey, but with several programs failing it sure looks as if something has changed in the SSDR code or in the CAT code.

    Using an external keyer do work but why should we need to revert to this, I would rather have this issue fixed :)

    This is what Winkey manual says: "Set WPM Speed <02><nn> nn is in the range of 5-99 WPM Example: <02><12> set 18 W"

    This an extract from logging by CAT:

    2020-11-08 15:55:55.253 COM8 (N1MMLogger) [sent]: <02><14><02><14>

    2020-11-08 15:54:31.644 COM8 (dx4win) [sent]: <02><08>

    Note that N1MM sends the same command twice and DX4Win only once. Apparently Flex drops some chars and are unable to understand the single command.

  • Cees
    Cees Member ✭✭
    > @"Neil D Friedman N3DF" said:
    > Am I correct that you would like the CW words-per-minute setting established by your external Winkeyer to show within SmartSDR? If so, I don’t believe this is possible.

    Yes Neil, you understood my question correctly, can you also tell me why this is not working and do you have experience with that?
  • Cees
    Cees Member ✭✭
    > @"Neil D Friedman N3DF" said:
    > Am I correct that you would like the CW words-per-minute setting established by your external Winkeyer to show within SmartSDR? If so, I don’t believe this is possible.

    Yes Neil, you understood my question correctly, can you also tell me why this is not working and do you have experience with that?
  • Cees
    Cees Member ✭✭
    > @KD0RC said:
    > Hi Cees, My homebrew TeensyMaestro has a keyer built in that does control the CW speed of the Flex. Conversely, the Flex controls the speed of the keyer. If you were not interested in the rest of the TeensyMaestro functionality, it could be built with just the keyer controls and used the way you describe for under $50 USD. Note that my keyer does not interface with N1MM, so for that reason, this may not be suitable for your needs.
    > For more info:
    > KD0RC/Teensy-Maestro-for-Flex-6000-radios: TeensyMaestro - a Teensy-based set of controls for Flex 6000 series radios. (github.com)
    > If you decide to try this, I would more than happy to help.

    Thanks for your info Les, and yes, I work exclusively with N1MM.
  • Cees
    Cees Member ✭✭
    Hi Lasse, My question regarding communication from N1MM versus FLEX is the recent purchase of the FLEX6400, version 3.1.12. I'm actually discovering what the possibilities are within SmartSDR.

    I did a contest for a short while and I have to say: the communication between the WinkeyUSB keyer and N1MM and the signals sent by the FLEX is nothing wrong with that. I never had any problems with my Kenwood TS48 (which I've been working with for years). Could the recent update to v.3.1.12 be the cause?

    If I've understood your answer correctly, my problem is slightly different.
    I can only control the signal speed (in words per minute) with the Winkeyer itself and in the N1MM window.
    SmartSDR does not respond at all to this (I've assigned a port with CAT de Keyer)

    73, Cees, PA3CVI



    > @"Lasse SM5GLC" said:
    > I assume Cees comments are due to my questions made in the facebook group, and a previously posting here: https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8023533/ssdr-v2-4-10-and-winkeyer-oddities#latest
    > What we see is that most external programs fail to set the internal Winkeyer speed, but N1MM do manage to do so. I was hesitant at first to ask for help as I thought I was the only one noticing this. But seeing replies on facebook several other have noticed this. Response from Flex is that the code has "not changed for ages" regarding Winkey, but with several programs failing it sure looks as if something has changed in the SSDR code or in the CAT code.
    > Using an external keyer do work but why should we need to revert to this, I would rather have this issue fixed :)
    > This is what Winkey manual says: "Set WPM Speed <02><nn> nn is in the range of 5-99 WPM Example: <02><12> set 18 W"
    > This an extract from logging by CAT:
    > 2020-11-08 15:55:55.253 COM8 (N1MMLogger) [sent]: <02><14><02><14>
    > 2020-11-08 15:54:31.644 COM8 (dx4win) [sent]: <02><08>
    > Note that N1MM sends the same command twice and DX4Win only once. Apparently Flex drops some chars and are unable to understand the single command.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.