Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internet switch, Sonoff or KMtronic?

This is a question for Mike, VA3MW. First, let me say how much I enjoyed your YouTube presentations on setting up a remote shack. I've watched both several times, just to be sure I haven't missed anything.
My question relates to the remote internet switch peripheral. In the YouTube of your boat house shack you recommended the KMtronic Ethernet LAN switch. In the QSO Today YouTube, you recommend the WiFi Sonoff. Since you are not a fan of WiFi, why the move away from KMtronic? Thanks in advance. Rusty - W3US
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If I may respond, as I have also watched Mike' videos.

Mike cautions the use of WiFi for devices requiring low latency and no loss of packets with no buffering. He brings this up often when discussing comparing WiFi to ethernet cable for the Flex Server, Clients, and third party applications.

Using WiFi to access a web based switch is not affected by latency or loss of packets, so this is why one could be agnostic on the choice.

I believe Mike introduced the Sonoff as a easy to deploy web switch.

Mike uses KMTronics, for one, because it can be interfaced easily using Node-Red.

Mike, please correct anything I have not stated correctly.

Alan

WA9WUD

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I am using a Sonoff 4CH PRO R3 4 Channel Din Rail Mounting Wireless switch and I am very happy with it. In fact I’ve just ordered another one. Several versions are available, however I would recommend the the “PRO R3” version because it can operate off 120/240 volts or 12Volts DC. The cost delivered in VK was AUD48 (around USD32) I particularly like the iPhone interface which give you tactile as well as visual confirmation of remote switching operation. The Chinglish instructions are a little iffy, but if I can work them out then anyone can. Winston VK7WH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.