Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help: No mic audio output (SSB)

I'm 99% CW, so I'm pretty sure this is a user (me) issue.

When I key the mic (SSB mode) the RED LED and MOX activate. I also see the Level and Compression meters dance around in SSDR like I would expect when I talk. However, I don't see any hints of audio modulation on the panadapter like I do when I key down in CW mode.

The same happens when I try to TUNE in SSB mode. No hints of audio modulation on the panadapter and rig takes a long time to tune; probably due to no audio signal.

Any tips as to what is going on?

Thanks.

Pat / W5WTH

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Pat, Your Tune Pwr and RF Power sliders are not at zero are they? This could cause the effect you are seeing. Tune does not use audio, it is just a carrier, so that should not be a factor.

Another thing to check is that you have the correct settings for the mic you are using. If it is an electret like the FHM series of Flex mics, you need to turn bias on in the Phone/CW tab of Settings. You may or may not need the +20dB preamp enabled, so that is something to try. Also, do you have MIC selected instead of PC or ACC? DAX should be off. +ACC should be off.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Len:

No joy. My mic screen is (tried with +ACC ON and OFF):

Power screen:

Suggestions?

Pat / W5WTH

• KD0RC

Hmmm... How about the BIAS control:

The FHM-3 needs bias on and +20dB on. Then adjust mic gain accordingly.

• KD0RC

I forgot to ask... Which radio do you have? Where do you have your mic plugged in?

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

That is a great question (that I should have put in the OP).

6400 with the stock FHM-3 mic plugged into the back of the rig.

And.....

It really shouldn't be this hard to make a SSB contact. HIHI!

• KD0RC

Well, the last thing I can think of... Can you unplug and plug in the mic to see if it is a bad contact? (and make sure it is actually plugged into the mic connector). Also unplug the cable at the mic end and reconnect it. If that doesn't work, I think it is probably time to submit a helpdesk ticket.

Oh... And make sure the RCA plug on the mic is plugged in to the PTT jack on the radio. Maybe unplug and plug it as well.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Easy enough to try, but I didn't think it would 'fix' it since the rig does key (RED LED) and the mic does detect sound (dancing level and compression meters).

No change. I hate to put in a trouble ticket because of the humiliation knowing it is likely user error. :)

• KD0RC

Ah... Well it sounds like everything is hooked up and otherwise working. You do have the rig in USB or LSB and not DIGU or DIGL, right? If that is ok, then I would put in a ticket.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Pat:

The last time that you posted you were having trouble with RTTY, as I remember that problem was solved . Since you are seeing audio in and compression you audio in and low level TX appears to be working. Look at your TX filter settings, make sure you hi and lo cut frequencies are correct.

Do you have an external watt meter, does it show power out in SSB?

Before the help desk ticket I would save my memories and profiles and do a factory reset and give it another try. The TX pan adapter display could be goofed up. I'm running the latest version 2 on both my radios and have not had to do a reset since that code was released.

Gayle K0FLY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

So what radio are you using? Woops, I see you are running the 6400.

The 6500 / 6700 radios have the Front 8 pin foster connectors which is the MIC the 1/4" connector on the back is the Balanced MIC setting,

The 6600 has the 1/8" connector for MIC and the 1/4" for the Balanced, the 6400 I think only has the small 1/8" connector.

It helps people help you if you put the Radio model AND Controller your having issues with give you correct advice so if you can answer these questions would be useful

Radio Model?

M control head on 6600 or 6400?

SmartSDR version?

Maestro?

IPAD?

MAC SmartSDR?

Running a PC Microphone on a remote computer ?

It is good advice to EXPORT your profiles then do a hard reset, Make sure that "PC Audio" at the top of the screen isn't highlighted if running SmartSDR

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I had something like this happen also. The factory reset (hold the button until it turns white) fixed it.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Well, on the plus side I was correct by saying "user error" (somewhat anyhow).

A WHITE LED reboot 'fixed' it. I absolutely know I WHITE LED rebooted before creating this thread, but I guess a double reboot and the threat of a triple reboot whipped the rig into shape.

Thanks all. And thanks for the reboot idea. I can image the trouble ticket now:

FR: Please reboot your rig.

ME: How dumb do they think I am!?!?! Of course I rebooted the rig.

[.... pause .... ]

ME: OK, that fixed it. Thanks (palm slaps face)

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

How to I mark a thread as "Answered"?

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Pat:

If it happens again, you probably have a profile that is mucking the works up. I had to reset my software version one radio several times. A friend told me to delete my profiles and create new ones. Problem fixed. The version 2 and 3 software releases appear to be way more stable than early version one release. Keep that in the back of your mind if you have to reset again.

Gayle K0FLY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.