Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connect 6500 to NIC in Computer

Mark Adams
Mark Adams Member ✭✭

This could also be in the computer discussions but here you go. A friend with an ANAN connects the radio to a second NIC in his PC. I don't see this method of connection mentioned in the Flex literature.

All my radio shack devices that need to be on the network are connected via Ethernet to an 8-port switch and that does work fine. But every now and then I see my network connection as indicated in SmartSDR drop from excellent to something less and I think that connecting directly to the computer would improve the situation however marginally.

Just wondering...

Mark K2QO

Comments

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭

Tim,

Thanks for the details. You’ll note I was not complaining, just theorizing that I could make things even better. Being an engineer that worked in research, the old motto of “fix it till its broke” is engrained in my process :-)

Late last year I was suffering really bad packet loss. Operating away from home or in my shack was occasionally frustrating due to audio dropouts, etc. I changed out all three switches in may network along with making new cables for my Maestro and 6500. I needed to go to 8-port switches anyway due to having more devices. But the new cable CAT5E to the 6500 was the winner! It “tested” OK, but did not “work” OK.

Now it is time to look forward to 3.2.x!

Mark K2QO

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Getting the network to cooperate is always a challenge with the Flex. I originally used a WiFi AP and router to connect SmartSDR. Experiencing disconnects and dropped packets, I changed to a Netgear 1Gb switch. Didn’t help. Changed computers, which helped some, but still disconnects. Put the 100Mb router back in place of the switch, and now rarely get network issues. Win7 performance monitor shows network load about 1 Meg, so seems either should work, but not so.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.