Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDUtil or not? 6500+KPA500+KAT500

I have used both hookup methods and while each work, I'm confused when running remote.

Method 1: connect both the Elecraft boxes to the 6500.

Method 2: connect both the Elecraft boxes to the PC and run DDUtil.

In the shack, both methods are great. BUT, when running remote from my Mac at work with SmartSDR or waiting for someone and checking in on my iPhone or iPad, I don't see anyway to change the amp status. I expected that since the radio knows that there are two devices connected that it could control those devices. IF the amp is in use, I likewise don't know its power output, just that of the radio.

And when the Elecraft boxes are connected to the PC, the remote control computer or iPad have NO idea of their presence.

I thought that maybe connecting to my shack computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop would work as I'd be controlling the whole shack setup like I was there, but my HP/Ryzen computer shipped with Win10 Home and Pro is needed to do remote desktop. If I was sure that spending $99 would make this all work, I'd do it in a minute.

Does anyone here use Microsoft Remote Desktop to run their shack when away from home?

73, Mark K2QO

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Mark

I use Windows 10 pro machines in my shack and access them via Microsoft Remote on my Mac. When away, I use "TailScale" to set up a secure VPN between Windows and Mac through my firewall.

There is a Mac version of Microsoft Remote Desktop that works nicely with the Windows Remote Desktop. One important issue is how it handles audio. If you enable the client (Mac) to get the audio from the Server (windows 10 pro), then Flex DAX will not work on the Windows 10 machine. If you want DAX to work, do not enable audio out on the Remote Desktop.

I found another Mac app, that uses the same Microsoft Remote Desktop as the server, "Jump Desktop" to not have the same audio issues and it works very well too.

Alan

WA9WUD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

In the USB cable setup on the Flex, do you have it set for Auto-report and follow TX Slice?

I have no issue with a KPA1500 following the Flex TX frequency before transmitting.

Dave wo2x

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭

Dave,

The KPA500 and KAT500 both switch lightning fast when I change bands on the 6500. My comment/concern/conundrum is to know that the amp is working properly when operating away from home. Elecraft has a utility for this: https://elecraft.com/pages/kpa1500-kpa500-kat500-remote-software

I’m trying to make my setup reliable for casual contesting when away from home. What I don’t think is possible is running N1MM on the remote computer. Maybe I just haven’t read far enough into the N1MM manual.

My setup in the shack is an HPRyzen5 machine, 6500, KAT500, KPA500. It should be SIMPLE to hop on my computer or iPad and jump into any CW contest and start banging away while logging in N1MM and seeing that the amp and tuner at behaving. So maybe the MS Win Remote Desktop is the solution.

Mark K2QO

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

Method 1, worked very well for me and is very reliable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.