Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Changing keying delay on Flex 3000 with KE9NS revision software

Hello everyone, I have just purchased an old Heathkit SB200 and while I was reassured that the relay in this is high voltage and should be no issue to key the amp, I am concerned about adjusting the keying delay so as to make sure everything is inline before TX starts... looks like I might need roundabout 35ms... where can I change this in PowerSDR Software? What’s more is I am running KE9NS latest version and I have looked everywhere ... I found how to make PTT hang out longer but that looks different I need to key down and hold Before TX. Any tips ? Thanks & 73’s Jean-Philippe ZL1RPL

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't think the FLEX 3K has a relay that can switch the -120V or more, what ever it is on the heath kit AMP's, and collins Amps -170V DC. 
    Flex uses solid state relays so  I would really get a Relay buffer relay box. 
    You can get them from Ameritron or build one your self and save your radio from the High voltage Bias Grid keying voltage on most OLDER tube amps that where built when all radios had a mechanical relay with contacts specifically for keying what ever you through at it.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Back when I got my Flex 3000, I called Flex about this,,Dudely told me the 3000 would be safe with almost any amp,,but he said that with a  Heathkit SB200 I should use a buffer, like the Ameritron one. He said the SB200 is known to spike.
    I told him I have an Ameritron AL 811. He said that the Flex 3000 would not have any problems with that. I ran that amp for 12 years with out a buffer.

The Flex 5000 uses a soft key, and can be damaged easy.
  • Jean-Philippe DIEL
    edited December 2017
    The relay on the flex 3000 is rated 250VAC and 220VDC. What did they mean by “spiking”?
  • Elan Paim
    Elan Paim Member
    edited December 2017
    do not use any flex or any modern radio without buffer 
    http://k4avu.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1298607
    the best buffer out there i am not his sale  manager but a happy customer 
    the old Amp can may work how ever one day it will damage your radio 
    73 elan g0uut/dl9fcc
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    Using a buffer relay is good insurance.  They cost a lot less than a repair to the radio.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    To answer your question. TX delay for the amp jack delay is at, Setup, General, Options. Enable TX Out Delay.
  • Jean-Philippe DIEL
    edited December 2017
    Darn it was right in front of me the whole time... thanks
  • tomtom
    tomtom Member
    in the transmit setup what should the delay be in ms
  • N0DFF  Steve
    N0DFF Steve Member ✭✭
    There is some good info on KE9NS' forum about this. ALWAYS use a keying interface with a radio you like!
    75 ms of delay both ways works fine.

https://www.ke9ns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=145&sid=67e9ac0081b75861049477f18716d035
  • N0DFF  Steve
    N0DFF Steve Member ✭✭
    There is some good info on KE9NS' forum about this. ALWAYS use a keying interface with a radio you like!
    75 ms of delay both ways works fine.

https://www.ke9ns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=145&sid=67e9ac0081b75861049477f18716d035

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.