Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using a Yaesu FL-2100B with my Flex 6400 via Ameritron ARB 704?

2»

Answers

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021

Thank you Pete for documenting the setup so well. The only thing I might add is an image for the tuner where it’s connected in the series of radio components . But you covered getting the FL2100B on the air. Maybe you can send your PDF to Flex to put in their document download library.

At full power 600W, no problems with overloading you AC and throwing a breaker??

Again, Nice Work!

Thanks!

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021

Quick question..

if you are testing the amplifier with a dummy load, does it matter which band you are on? Obviously you should match the band the Flex 6400

Thanks!

• Band selected on exciter (Flex) must match band selected on amp. Dummy load must be rated for frequency in use, typically not an issue for HF and more a concern in VHF, UHF and microwave. Most dummy loads good for 160M to 10M.

If the amp is used and new to you, you should test on each band and check the SWR the Flex sees to the input of the amp (with amp in operate mode otherwise the Flex will be looking into the antenna). It should be within the specs published fir the amp. I have worked on some maps where the previous owner tweaked (aka messed up) some of the input coils resulting in high SWR to throw exciter. Think 11M band.

Depending on how thorough you want to be in your testing, you may want measure the amp output on each band and compare against manufacturer specs. Most will have max output on the lower bands and power iut will diminish somewhat on he higher bands (aka higher frequencies).

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

Glad to be of 'some' help, I certainly don't know everything here...hi-hi

As I said not using a tuner as the SteppIR Urbanbeam tunes itself.

Note: What I've learned about tuners...If tuner at radio you're tuning the wire to the antenna. If tuner at the antenna then tuning what you want.

73 Barry

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

Oops missed another question,

pushing 500 watts all day and no breakers tripped nor any other overload issues.

Talked to Chile today from here in Alaska using this setup.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭

Awesome Pete!

Thanks again for all your work on the...

Take care!

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021

I want to confirm one more thing Pete, or anyone...

Do I need to connect the ARB 704 ALC to the ALC on the FL2100B??

I believe Pete mentioned he could not get it to work without the ALC connected from the ARB704 to the FL2100B??

Pete can you confirm as this is CRITICALi?

Thanks!

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

I could not get amp to key up w/o use of the ALC. Plug it in and off it went, just fine so I'm leaving connected until I learn some other way.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

Awesome Pete.

I noticed in the instruction manual that the FL2100B has to be grounded. My house has septic and well, it has been converted to city water, sewer and gas. But the utility company will not identify any piping from septic and well. And you have to pound a copper rod 8 feet into the ground. They have electronic devices that can detect the location and depth of any piping and other objects, but they are about $120 a day to rent...

The FL2100B I need to ground, correct?

Thanks

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

The ground is the wingnut device center bottom. It takes extraneous current from chassis to ground. The voltages we're talking about, I'd find a way to ground it.

Not saying it's a great solution but, look at where your utilities enter the house and put a rod down away from them a couple feet from the house. Not a great solution but better than nothing.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭

Wow there is a huge debate about grounding in the ham community..

check out this thread I started on QRZ

Thanks.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

True. ARRL engineers tell us there is no such thing as a RF ground. A safety ground for the human touchable cabinet should be provided by the power wiring (usually green wire). I use the grounding lug for bonding the various pieces of equipment together right or wrong, depends on who is speaking. Lightning protection is a separate major topic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.