Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Only High VSWR 6600M

:( I searched and found no discussion with a similar title. I am new to Flex with a 6600M I bought used in December. I've used it as my CW/SSB radio since then. Suddenly, it has a high VSWR on CW only, even when connected to a dummy load.

Regardless of frequency, when I change the mode to anything BUT CW, activating the TUNE button works just fine. If I broaden the pan adapter, what appears to be second harmonic energy (40m TX watching on 20m) is the same for any mode. CW does not appear to be worse. I do not have a spectrum analyzer for accurate testing.

I restored factory defaults to no avail. Does anyone have suggestions before I submit a help ticket? While the radio still has more than a year of warranty, I am not enthused about shipping it to Austin.

Thanks and 73, Bill, K8TE

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bill, Check to be sure that changing to CW does not change your transmit antenna (the red antenna indicator). If it does, try changing it back to whatever antenna you were expecting and try the tune button to see if that fixes the issue.

• Same TX & RX antenna selections Len. Just for fun, I switched TX antennas. On CW, both selections failed (high VSWR). On the same frequency, switching to USB and pressing the TUNE button, both antennas (20m dipole on ANT1 and a dummy load on ANT2 had low VSWR.

The problem is only on CW and disappears when switching to any of the other modes on the same frequency and antenna.

73, Bill, K8TE
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Sounds like it is time to submit a help ticket. I can't think of anything else that would cause this behavior.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.