Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yellow 3 or 4 bar Smartlink icon

Connecting remotely to a Maestro/6700 and in the past had a solid green icon for SmartLink connection. Recently SmartLink icon changed to 3 to 4 bar yellow icon and changes very briefly to 3 or 4 bar red and green icon and then returns to the yellow icon. Remote laptop is connected to ethernet Internet with 200mbs+ download speed. Need suggestions on where or how to trouble shoot (from remote or FlexRadio Side) the SmartLink to get it to return to solid green icon. Network on FlexRadio side is 300MBS download.
Tagged:

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

I think on the radio side, the upload speed is the salient figure.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Tom, SmartLink makes the connection for you, but is not in the loop once the connection is made between SmartSDR (or Maestro) and the radio. So your network connections are what determine throughput and latency. WiFi tend to be the weak link, so if you have any WiFi in the mix, try hard wiring (if possible) to see if that fixes the issue. If not, I think there are some diagnostic tools that you can use to see where things bottleneck. Mike, VA3MW has some videos out on YouTube on the subject that you might want to check out.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The red-yellow-green bars are indicative of network latency as measured by round-trip time (rtt) between SmartSDR and the flex, whether local or remote. If your equipment hasn’t changed could be some change by provider. Even with decent upload or download rated speeds, there is still a lot of opportunity for latency.

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

SmartLink is definitely not happy with WiFi; at least not with my Ubiquiti WiFi.

I'm curious: we are all running Zoom continuously on WiFi pretty successfully. Why is SmartLink more network-sensitive than Zoom?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

This question comes up a lot. I asked Steve Hicks about it at Orlando. The Flex answer is that these video feeds are buffered, so temporary delays (latency) are stored and displayed later, with a few dropped frames being un-noticed, especially as processed by brain power. The constant stream of data from the Flex is presented real time with noticeable dropouts if any delay is present.

Wi-fi is a shared resource, with all of the channels overlapping to some extent. Wi-fi ac is less susceptible due in part to the use of the 5ghz band with a better channel allocation, and with shorter range, less interference from neighbors, but still not as reliable as wired.

• Tom G
    Tom G Member
    My call is K9TG btw - My setup - I connect to the FlexRadio Pan Adpater via ethernet cable on a laptop. The SmartSDR Cat and DAX Control Panel are connected via ethernet cable to the SmartLink on my desktop PC. The FlexRadio is located about 20 miles away and is WB9EXL's remote station setup.

Some of what you provided we have tried so I will search for Mike's, VA3MW, videos and see if he has any tools that may assist in finding out more about what's going on.

Thank you all for your prompt assistance. I will let you know if I find anything further on this.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

The bar display is an evaluation and indicator your local Ethernet network. If there is a Wi-Fi device, switch and cables involved with the connection of your radio, then something is amiss or changed. Some trouble shooting may be required at the radio end. Test your remote connection by using a test like Speed Test, available on line. If you get good results then that will eliminate the WAN side of the network. So you may need to concentrate on the radio side network to solve your problem. Good luck....

tThe display is a local indicator

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

The bar display is an evaluation and indicator your local Ethernet network. If there is a Wi-Fi device, switch and cables involved with the connection of your radio, then something is amiss or changed. Some trouble shooting may be required at the radio end. Test your remote connection by using a test like Speed Test, available on line. If you get good results then that will eliminate the WAN side of the network. So you may need to concentrate on the radio side network to solve your problem. Good luck....

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

It could be network traffic congestion at either end or in the “cloud” (Internet and your IPS’s).

Try running a speed test at each location using the DSLReports site http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

look at the buffer bloat. That is one thing that can contribute to poor network quality.

Some users have switched to using IQ Routers by Evenroute. The IQ Router helps optimize network traffic and reduce buffer bloat. https://evenroute.com/

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.