Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Downgrading from v3 to V2

Other than Multioperator operation what would I lose if I downgrade from v3.1.12 to v2.6.2?

I know the plus is that it doesn't autosave profiles, which is the reason I want to downgrade.

With the notice of V3.2 not mentioning the profile issue I doubt I will want to pay $200 for the upgrade if it doesn't fix the only problem I have with v3.1.

Steve KD2OM

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Steve, There is no charge to go from 3.1 to 3.2. The $200 fee is only charged to go up to the latest version from a lower version (e.g. from 1.x or 2.x to 3.x). Basically, Flex charges for new functionality, not bug fixes.

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

Right Len, i forgot that it would have to go v4 before being charged. I would still like to know if it would be better to downgrade to get the profile fix. It would be a shame if Flex didn't fix the most complained about problem.

Steve KD2OM

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Or wait, hope around 6 weeks by the end of the 1st Quarter 2021 we'll have in our hands the next version of SmartSDR V3 and we all cross our fingers to have this profiles issue user selectable but who knows, it was not specifically listed.

Between the profiles autosave, SDCard and Tuner issue these have to be the TOP bugs people are putting up with, there still must be a SDCard issue for those running the latest version's of SmartSDR and still loosing them.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Steve

We have all seen Gerald’s release. I that he indicated a 3.x 1 st quarter release. Mentioned above there is no charge unless you have not paid for upgrade to a 3.X release already. As a reminder the license goes with the specific radio.

As a general observation on any software companies release, the testing process is established to run it through the ringer resulting in unexpected discoveries that need to be addressed. Some software platforms like WSJT-X give beta test versions to everyone such as RC-1,2,3 etc then continuing with General releases on a frequent basis. This in my opinion is fine for a amateur and experimental users. In a network, SDR radio this would create an unstable platform.

Like Windows 10, I never know when I will get another update and the next day I may find things, not just Flex that don’t work the same. Like the saying, we’re the IRS (Microsoft) and we’re here to help you. 🙃

Personally, Steve, I would upgrade to the latest 3.x Release. It insurers that you are seeing the best that Flex has implemented. You are part of the community of amateurs pushing the leading edge of HF communications. But if you decide, you can stay on 3.1.12 which was the case in the past. The exception to that is, if an upgrade changes a database structure that could be affected. In that case even 2.6.2 could be impacted. We will see the new release soon

My thoughts above are only mine, but as managing and preforming software testing in my working life, the Flex methodology has been very robust.

Sharing my opinion is shared for the benefit of many Flex users that are new to SRD with the trials and tribulation of a software featured product. I have used my 6600 for 4 years now. It does things today that were not possible when I bought it.

My suggestion to you and others with your concern is to wait a few months to take in the discussions on the community. For those of us that want to be on the leading edge (called early adopters) can dissect the new release. Give the release notice a good look to see if issues addressed are of significance to you.

Bill

W9JJB

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

I will probably do the upgrade Bill, at first anyway. The autosave of profiles is a deal breaker for me, I don't care if it has an on off feature as long as it can be off. That is the only issue I have.

I spent plenty of my career working with software controlled tactical radios and I am well aware of the issues of regression testing to be sure a fix doesn't break something else. In the case of Flex that is exactly what happened, when the last version was upgraded, the radio could no longer be used for pactor and a perfectly operating profile system was ruined with autosave.

In the radios I worked with we called profiles presets, when a preset was "dirtied" by an operator simply going off that preset and returning set everything back to how it was programmed. This is how a profile should work. I wouldn't even mind if a profile could be marked as read only and could be brought back to its original state by reloading it.

We will just have to wait and see. The 6600M is still the best radio I have ever had and don't regret the purchase at all.

Steve KD2OM

• Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭

Still no on/off/read-only option for profile autosave in v3.2.31 :(

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

Now we have to wait until V2 gets the stability mods and ATU enhancements.

Steve KD2OM

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

According to Flex, V2.7 is in alpha testing now. No timeframe for release yet, hopefully soon.

Steve KD2OM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.