Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using DAX while running SSDR + apps on remote computer using Remote Desktop

Has anyone been able to play only the system input device and system output device on the RDP client PC, leaving all other audio devices (i.e., DAX) on the remote server PC?

I want to run SSDR, WSJT-X, Fldigi, etc. on the remote server PC, which is co-located with my Flex 6700, while sending only the Windows system input device and system output device to the RDP client PC.

When using my Remote Desktop on the client PC, if I set "Remote audio playback" to "Play on remote computer," DAX is happy, but I have no mic or speaker audio on my client PC.

But when I set "Remote audio playback" to "Play on this computer," I get the mic and speaker audio, but all DAX audio is also re-routed, so third-party programs on the server PC no longer can connect to DAX. The client PC shows a DAX driver error.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mike provided the solution - use TeamViewer instead of Remote Desktop.

I tried 2 test cases with TeamViewer to operate using my laptop, which is controlling my desktop that is running SSDR+apps:

1. SSB on 75m, using my headphones with mic

2. FT8 on 40m using WSJT-X and JTAlert

Both worked fine.

So the change is to use TeamViewer instead of Remote Desktop.

Plus TeamViewer has added benefits:

1. I can switch between my multiple desktop monitors, thus I can put SSDR and apps on different monitors.

2. TeamViewer does not require port forwarding

3. The procedure used by TeamViewer to log on to the remote computer appears to be more secure, and the TeamViewer encrypts data sent over the internet.

4. TeamViewer is free for personal use.

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Doug

Take a look at "Jump Desktop". It is available from the Apple Mac App Store. Jump Desktop Client works with Window Remote Desktop as the server.

I found Jump Desktop does not disable and remove the remote's audio drivers when in use. In addition, the video and other items are also not disabled.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Doug

DO NOT install Jump Desk. I just found it removed all of my Flex Audio Drivers!!

Alan

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Doug

DO NOT install Jump Desk. I just found it removed all of my Flex Audio Drivers!!

Alan

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

Windows has two remote desktop clients: "Remote Desktop" and "Remote Desktop Connection". RD is the newer one and RDC is the older one. I haven't dug deeper, but I get a DAX error when I use the newer RD client. DAX works when I connect with the older RDC client and WSJT-X works fine.

Connection to Win11 Pro from a Win11 client. Network is Ubiquiti site-to-site (L3) VPN.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.