Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Combining Maestro with full remote operation allowing rotor control, antenna change etc

Hi all Flex aficionados. As a seasoned Flex and Maestro user I enjoy the flexibility that Maestro gives, allowing me to operate my station from 1000 miles away from home. In the bad old days of steam radios I used a VPN to access my home computer to give me an easy way to operate my rotor, to actually know where it was heading at any time, to use my logging program and a host of other functions.

So far as I can tell, there is no standalone system that I can use with Maestro to continue with these functions. I band change using the data output from my Flex 6500 to my linear which also automatically changes antennas but I am still looking for the easiest way to operate my Alfaspid rotor and KNOW that it has turned.

Operating remote 100 miles from the nearest City, I have latency that runs as high as 500ms, which I have not been able to overcome, which adds another complication to the problem .

I would be interested in feedback from those who have solved this problem.

Comments

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

A quick google search turned up this thread with lots of info.

John K3MA

Flex remote operation with rotor control — FlexRadio Community

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Also if you use PSTRotatorAZ at the station end you can use Node Red to allow a graphical interface to the rotor. See screenshot. It is accessible from any web browser.

Dave wo2x

• Thanks guys. I like the concept of being able to use a Web browser at the remote end but even this solution does not allow me to remove my home computer from the equation as I understand it.

I appreciate the ideas and will look more deeply into what PSTrotor can do.

Thanks again, Brian VK7RR/4

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

I've been using Moxa Ethernet to RS232 adapters to connect to a Green Heron RT21 and a PowerMaster. The good news is this is an industrial quality solution that runs flawlessly with no PC in the shack. The bad news is you still need a VPN from your PC.

I've resigned myself to leaving a low power Intel NUC PC in the shack I can Remote Desktop into. I need it for emergency software upgrades in the Flex and as a last resort to connect to the PGXL and the TG when that ships. Mack has indicated the first TG release will not support SmartLink.

I've never gotten any traction suggesting Flex implement a serial pass-through mode in CAT that would be SmartLink enabled.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

My Node Red server runs on a Raspberry Pi and you can have rotor connected directly to the Pi bypassing need for PC. The Pi is a good choice as it draws very little power and is reliable. I’ve had one running for over 4 months without a reboot.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.