Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how to disable mox so it doesn't light up and make the mic hot when tuneing ?

mike perry
mike perry Member
How do I turn off or disable the MOX function when I tune ???

Answers

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike, I am not sure what your trying to do.  TUNE is in effect a MOX function in which you have a TUNE Power Control slider and a tone is injected.  Pressing the TUNE button is the same as pressing the MOX (manually operated transmit) and injecting an audio tone to produce RF output at a specific level.  I do not believe there is anything to separate the two functions available.  But rather one utilizes the other with some preconfigured controls. 

However, if you describe more fully what your concern is there may be a work around to help out.

John K3MA
  • mike perry
    mike perry Member
    edited July 2019
    When I tune the MOX lights up and mic is hot.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike, I usually do not talk when I am using the TUNE function for a couple seconds so I had to check if my Flex 6500 has the same behavour.  It does not.  Only the audio tone is transmitted and if I talk while TUNE and MOX is blue no audio from the microphone is transmitted.  I am using a balanced microphone into the back of the Flex 6500.

Maybe your setup is different?  If not maybe there is something wrong that will require a Flex Support Ticket.  The TUNE and MOX both turning blue is normal but mine does have a hot microphone.

John K3MA
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I think John is correct. When the tune is pressed, the mox turns on to key the radio. I beleive the mic audio is cut off at that point.
    Question, How do you determine the mic is hot when in tune mode?
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
     The mic audio is always monitored on the meter. You will see if you have it set correctly that your mic audio  is shown and monitored even when your not using MOX. When your using tune, There is no microphone audio going out, Just a tone. If you let go if the tune button and keep the Mox pushed then yes your audio is transmitted.  Bottom line is when you are in tune" No mic audio is transmitted. You just see it on the meter.
  • mike perry
    mike perry Member
    edited July 2019
    I hear audio in headset of any one in room with me and my breathing or talking in headset while tuning.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
      Here is a way to  prove you are not transmitting your mic audio when using the tune function ATU built in your radio.
     Go to websdr.com.. Find a remote that is close enough to yourself. Transmit your audio, then hit the tune button while your talking. You wont hear nothing but maybe a tone and see the carrier on the water fall. That is a fool proof way of testing it yourself. WEBSDR.COM. make sure your MON button is OFF!  Anyone else agree?
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Also, in the RADIO SETUP panel under the PHONE/CW tab you can enable/disable the level meter during receive.  if that is enabled, the level meter will follow the mic during TUNE.
  • Mike VA3MD
    Mike VA3MD Member ✭✭
    Make sure that your VOX is off, that was my problem. I would transmit and if I touch the keyboard or talk it would go into TX.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, I have been trying to enable the mike meter during receive to set the level, and now I can. Thanks for the tip. Now, if I can find out how to re-arrange the order of the items in the radio window when it is popped out, one more mystery would be solved.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

When you click TUNE the MOX will light and you will see the level meter move when you talk but NO AUDIO goes out over the air. You can watch the panadapter and see there is only the carrier that is generated from the TUNE audio.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.