Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro VFO A tuning knob

Bill Axelrod
Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Maestro
The tuning knob for VFO A on my Maestro jumps, stutters, freezes, and sometime goes backwards.  VFO B works perfectly.  Tim sent me a replacement weight for the knob but that did not make any difference.  He told me to submit a trouble report.

I have had this problem through the last three Alpha software releases.  Now on V1.11.3.

Maestro serial nr. 5315-5091-0100-0035.

73...   Bill Axelrod K3WA

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bill,  should this go to the Alpha test group?
  • Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Larry,

It already has.  I first reported it via email to the Alpha group.  Then Tim sent me the replacement weight for the knob.  We think it is the decoder.  He asked me to do the trouble report so they could issue the forms for the Maestro's return home.

73...   Bill
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I agree Bill...  The problem description you gave would lead one to suspect the decoder for Slice A/Knob A on your Maestro regardless of the firmware level.
    Good luck es 73
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bill:

I have the same problem.   I have contacted Dudley on the issue, he requested that I perform a full reset on the Maestro.  I have done that several times, once it appeared to resolve the problem, however, after a few minutes of use the erratic operation returned.    

The problem is very noticeable with a pan adapter span of approximately 10 KHz and 100 Hz steps.

Gayle K0FLY
  • Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Gayle,

The gent who helped me was Tim Ellison at Flex.  He believes that the problem is the encoder itself and not software related.  Before contacting Flex I went through the full reset, software re-installation, etc. with no joy.

Flex customer service has been very good to me.

73...   Bill
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bill:

Thanks for the input, I also tried software re-installation and even went back to 1.9.xx before contacting Dudley.  He wanted me to perform the reset prior to going to the next step.

I can hear a rubbing/scraping sound as I rotate my encoders.  Approximately two scrapes per revolution.  I have never heard this on an encoder before, however, I have never used one with a push button function.  This maybe normal for an encoder with this feature.  This will be the second trip to the hospital for the Maestro.

Gayle
  • Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited February 2017

I have the same problem with mine!

Barry J 

N2BJ

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The scrapes you hear are not normal.  I have used my Maestro and five others at a contest station and a friend's.  No scrapes.

73...   Bill
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bill:

Thanks, Dudley just sent me an RMA number. 

Gayle K0FLY
  • Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Great!
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ran into the same problem - Plus another:  They are:
     - The VFO-A knob is out of balance - And there is too little drag on the encoder - Resulting in the knob physically turning when the finger depression is at 90 or 270 degrees (rotates back towards 0 degrees)
     - PS hum gating the audio from the speakers - Headphone audio is good

Fortunately when running I can press the A Lock and use headphones until the radio is finished the week on VE100VIMY/VE7 special events.  
    Dudley - expect a call next week

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This issue is being handled via the HelpDesk.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited March 2017
    My vfo knob is that free spinning if you **** on it it moves,but I'm in the uk so no help at all as usual
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    As usual?  In addition to our excellent service center in Germany, you have at your disposal our entire technical support team.  If you have an issue, I recommend using the resources at your disposal.
  • Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I just started having this same tuning problem with my Maestro.   I searched the problem on The Community and discovered this thread.   Since this thread is over 2 yrs old, I assume a fix has been implemented.  I am up to date with the current SmartSDR v 2.4.9.45 so curious if the fix was hardware related?

- Hunter K3IE
  • Ralph Bellas
    Ralph Bellas Member
    edited February 2020
    I saw this same problem on the remote encoder that I used with the Smart SDR.   Then it happened with the Maestro.  Very expensive repair for the little use I had on both of these.  Now, for the third time, I am seeing it on the Maestro which had been sent in for repair.
  • G3YSX
    G3YSX Member, Unconfirmed
    I have an older maestro that does this - works fine - except that when in the 3 o'clock position when gravity does some retuning - not great if you are tuning in a difficult to copy station. Is there a fix, are there currently the spares available to do the fix?
  • Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭

I removed the knob and at the back where the dimple its located I glued a length of thick, folded soldering wire (there is a space for it).

It balances the knob well in every position.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

You can also glue in a couple of US "5 cents" Nichols in this hole, these give the knob a GREAT feel.

to pull the knob, with a narrow plastic tool like a narrow scraper or tool to remove a cell phone cover carefully get under the black rubber ring, work off the ring with OUT stretching it, this will give access to the set screws that hold the knob on the shaft.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

Lock the tuning and move the knob to a different position. Then unlock it.

Ed, KA9EES

• [{"insert":"There was a fix to add weight to the knob as a counter balance. My problem was the frequency jumped as you rotated the knob, similar to a dirty audio ****. I was charged $150 twice and had to send in my Maestro each time to have the VFO encoder replaced. So my Maestro cost me $300 more than it should have. I also had the same problem with the remote tuning knob which I now do without because the repair cost was almost the same as a new knob. Three bad knobs and Flex claimed there was not a quality control problem! \nI am less of a supporter than I was in the past. There are still software problems with the rig hanging in transmit mode when using paddles and N1MM+. It is frustrating to be charged for \"upgrades\" that are actually initial design bugs. It took me all of 2 minutes to find a problem with my new PGXL. I had specifically asked if the known problem had been fixed before I sent payment. There are still problems with the SWR circuit not agreeing with my SWR meter. I have been waiting for over a year for a tuner. I always received vague responses to my inquiry.\nIf you can't trust someone's word, you can't trust them.\n\n"}]
  • stevemcl
    stevemcl Member, Unconfirmed
    I realize this is an old thread, but our club has a Maestro with the tuning knob issue as described here. Has there been any updates as to how to fix this issue?
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

@Steve

Our club also has a Maestro with a problem similar to yours. Does yours act like mine?

When tuning the frequency moves erratically in one direction, then jumps back many units. I wonder if this is a hardware encoder problem as I don't know how an encoder can jump back unless it is not held firmly on the shaft and "falls" when partially turned.

Or is it a software problem disguising as a hardware problem.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

I have had the same problem, Flex replaced the encoder, no Joy. A couple years ago i installed a cell phone power charger battery in the Maestro's rear compartment. The problem went away .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.