Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR usage without internet access.

How can I use my Flex-6700 on my local area network in the event of an internet outage.

Best Answers

• Chris_DL5NAM
    Chris_DL5NAM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    connect a LAN cable between PC und Flex6 if you not have a switch or router - that's it !
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

@KB5ZUR How are you connected right now? If you have your 6700 and computer or maestro plugged into the same LAN segment, then internet connectivity or not, you will still be operational. If you are connected via SmartLink over the internet, then you can connect as Chris suggests, or plug everything into a switch or router. The key is to have the Flex, computer or maestro all on the same LAN segment.

Len, KD0RC

Answers

• KB5ZUR
    KB5ZUR Member
    Thanks,
    I was under the impression SmartSDR had to Authenticate a user name and password from a server over the internet regardless of the connection from PC to radio. I will test further.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

I have a "NetGear GS105E" installed in my portable (Grab-and-go?) kit. It is also a 12V unit and runs off the same PS or battery as the Flex 6 and Maestro. It becomes part of the network when so connected or hosts these devices when not.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The internet connection is required to operate remotely over smartlink, but not needed to operate locally. The smartlink requirement is a security feature to verify that the person setting up the account has physical access to the radio and is not an network intruder.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@KB5ZUR

Let me clarify this for you.

Logging in to a SmartLink account is only needed to (a) configure your radio to use SmartLink or (b) connect to your radio remotely via the Internet using SmartLink.

A connection to the Internet is only needed to download new license entitlements or if using an M model or a MAestro, to download the latest SmartSDR software.

A connection to the Internet is not needed to operate your radio on a local LAN or if the PC (or Maestro) is directly connected to the radio using a single Ethernet cable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.