Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius and SmartLink

2»

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Mack. To allow for Diversity Receive for my F-6700 I'm using two Palstar HF-AUTO's, each one connected to the A and B output ports of my PG-XL. Works great. Sounds like I'd need two TGXL's to keep this same functionality.

One other question. Does the TGXL utiltize relays and torrids to achieve its LC Tuning? Or step-motor tuning capacitor and inductor?

Butch

KF4HR

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

I tried last week SO2R during RTTY contest with 6600-PGXL-AG2x8 and in general needed tuner for 80/160m only as 40m and up covered by Steppir. But in case you have few antennas that need tuning and run SO2R, will in instantly re-tune for each input. How is it going be handled, will it tune by stored memory and switch back and force?

Thanks

Sergey, KN7K

• Mack W4AX
    Mack W4AX Company Adviser ✭✭✭
    [{"insert":{"mention":{"name":"KF4HR","userID":7817358}}},{"insert":" the TGXL uses relays with heavy duty RF capacitors and inductors. I have two AT-Autos configured as you do and plan to retire them. They are currently disconnected.\nMack\nW4AX \n"}]
  • Mack W4AX
    [{"insert":{"mention":{"name":"Sergey D","userID":8107180}}},{"insert":" yes on all your points. Automatic switching, stored memories, full SO2R. It was used, without failure, for several thousand contacts in the RTTY contest last weekend. \nMack\nW4AX\n"}]
  • I really appreciate the info you've posted in response to our questions. I'd also be interested in seeing a picture of the inside of the TG case, if possible. That may answer other questions folks may have.

Thanks,

Howard

• Mack W4AX
    @"HCampbell WB4IVF" it's a little too soon for inside pictures because the unit is a final prototype. We should have production units very soon. I'll ask FlexRadio marketing to release more photos then.

For now, I think it's important to know the TGXL is working perfectly to design specifications and will be a great addition to any FlexRadio station. The testers continue to hammer away on the TGXL daily to ensure when the final units are delivered to customers it exceeds everyone's expectations.

Mack
    W4AX
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭

@"Dewey W0YWW" Glad you mentioned the "Receive ByPass" as an important feature for us 6700 Ops that like to monitor multiple bands. That is the case here. My multi-band vertical is used from 160-10M, switching a couple of bands on the 6700 during the day and night.

I had sent a request to 403A for this feature some time ago and they said it would be included.

73;

Bill

W2PKY

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Mack

Is there any update on the Tuner Genius? Does the Meffa work well with the tuner?

Does the PGXL run more efficiently with the Tuner?

Can I monitor input and out power with a utility?

How is the API involved with the Tuner Genius?

Bill W9JJB

• Mack W4AX

@bahillen answers in your original post.

Is there any update on the Tuner Genius? <Mack> see the post in this forum. Does the Meffa work well with the tuner? <Mack> Yes, I use it exclusively with SSB.

Does the PGXL run more efficiently with the Tuner? <Mack> I don’t fully understand what you are asking but if your antenna is not resonant then the PGXL will potentially debate its power. The TGXL provides a proper impedance match for the amplifier so it doesn’t derate unless the TGXL is unable to find a good match on a very poor antenna.

Can I monitor input and out power with a utility? <Mack> SSDR provides meters for input power today. The output power and SWR are shown on the front panel of the TGXL and the TGXL windows utility.

How is the API involved with the Tuner Genius? <Mack> Under development. No comments until the work is complete.

Bill W9JJB

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Question for Mack,

The preliminary specs say that the TGXL will match antennas up to 10:1 and can handle 2000 watts. If it finds a good match at 10:1 will it still handle 2000 watts? If so, that's a lot of stress on the tuner and components downstream. If it derates the power at higher SWR matches, about what SWR will it begin to back off of 1500 watts.

Thanks,

Bill

• Mack W4AX

@Bill AB7AA the answer to your question is very complex. The answer depends on how high the current and voltages are on the Smith Chart. There are combinations where the tuner will protect itself just as the PGXL and most other amps, including tube amps, will protect themselves. We have tested the TGXL at 1500W around the Smith Chart. Obviously, you should invest in antennas that have a reasonable impedance match at the desired frequency. My Elmer taught me, 55 years ago, for every $1 you spend you should spend $0.75 cents on your antennas.

Mack

W4AX

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mack,

That's a meaningful answer. I do keep 5 antenna systems that handle 80-10 M just to have reasonable matches at different ends of the bands. Some of my systems will do 160-6 M. I have 5 acres of land and 10 acres of antennas. I do operate MARS/SHARES which takes me anywhere 2-30 MHz so I can't cover everything without some matching help.

Bill AB7AA

• Mack W4AX

@Bill AB7AA just as an FYI I have tested the TGXL at hundreds of frequencies outside the amateur bands. It will work great for your MARS/SHARES operations.

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Another question for Mack W4AX.

I have a need to have an ICOM use the TGXL to tune and operate on MARS frequencies on one of its input ports. The antenna will be one that the TGXL usually uses and already memorized. I plan to switch the ICOM in place of my 6700/PGXL and start making a Pactor connection at low power. The PGXL will not be involved. Does the TGXL RF sense tuning override what it sees from the 6700 via SmartSDR on the lan? Do you think that this approach can be successful?

Bill AB7AA

• Mack W4AX

@Bill AB7AA I’m not certain I understand your question but let me try to answer.

The TGXL memorizes tuning solutions by frequency for the antenna and doesn’t care which exciter is providing power. It can also read CI V protocol from the Icom.

The TGXL will respond to the radio setup in the application. It works exactly like the PGXL. It will not override the setup in the application.

Hopefully I answered your question.

Mack

W4AX

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mack,

I know that it is a confusing setup, so let me rephrase the question. The 6700/PGXL/TGXL are all operating together on port B. The 6700 is tuned to a particular frequency so I assume that the PGXL and TGXL are anticipating to operate on that frequency. Then, all of a sudden the TGXL get excited by a low level (<40 watts) signal on a different frequency that is also in it's memory. Will it ignor the 6700 and tune for the frequency that excited it?

73, Bill AB7AA

• Mack W4AX

@Bill AB7AA no it will not automatically retune unless you set the TGXL to RF SENSE and apply a hardware PTT signal to the TGXL from the second radio.

What you could do is place the other radio on Port A of the TGXL, configure it to receive frequency data, and have the signal output on port A of the TGXL. Of course, you would need another antenna connected to port A.

Mack

W4AX

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mack,

Thanks for the answer. It looks like I'm back to the drawing board. Port A will already be in use with the 6700/PGXL/TGXL and a different antenna system. What I was looking for is an automatic switching system to share port B between voice and a digital system.

Thanks and 73,

Bill AB7AA

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Currently the PGXL does not reliably use CIV data from my IC7851 or 7610. I’m told a software update will come eventually. Does the TGXL work reliably with CIV input from these radios ?? I hope so as o love my PGXL and want to bundle the TGXL in the mix.

Peter

• Mack W4AX

@W2PP Peter, yes we have tested the TGXL with CIV. I’d like to ensure we have tested against the failure modes you have found in the PGXL.

Please be very very specific:

1. What are the settings and test connections where you have seen failure with the PGXL.
    2. What are the specific steps to create the failure condition?

I will try to recreate those failures, if possible, with the TGXL. Please contact me via email if you are entitled to a free TGXL because you purchased a PGXL as an early adopter. Mack@flex-radio.com.

Mack

W4AX

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Just a civ cable from radio to pgxl. Choose any icon radio any baud No good with ic7610 or 7851

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Mack any update on this issue?

Peter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.