Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Kind of a worthless question about Flex 6300 and sound mixers

Hi all, long time without posting in the community. I've been so immerse on the remote configuration of my station, specially Node Red, that I forgot about other areas I'm hoping to improve on the shack. One of them is being able to set up the best sound possible in my station (who doesn't).

I have a Flex 6300, two mics (Shure PG58-XLR and Heil HM12) and regular Logitech PC Speakers.

Is there any real advantage to add to this set up any kind of sound mixer (Focusrite, Presonus, etc) and another speakers options or the EQ and Mic Profiles of the Flex is enough?

Will appreciate if you can share your experience.

Santiago, HI8SMX

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Many people do add external mixers/equalizers in the desire to achieve 'FM radio' quality audio. However, from my perspective, the equalization capabilities already built into SmartSDR are more than adequate for most communications -- especially when using SSB and working DX. :-)

• Thanks Don. Yes, that’s the opinion of a great deal of Flex users, but others thinks different. That was my intention with this question.

73, Santiago

• I’m surprised because I was expecting more opinions on this matter. I’m looking to incorporate a mixer in my station to expand the possibilities, so I’ll either look in other forums or rephrase my question on a new post.

santiago

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭

Santiago, I am glad you brought this topic up. I operate a 6600M and quite often get compliments on the audio and have no external audio equipment connected other than Behringer mic preamp. I use a Heil PR781 using the balance mic input on the back of the radio and run with the Flex mic gain at 90 with the internal mic preamp off.

With that said, I am planning on purchasing a Behringer mixer to feed audio to the 6600M. I will be following this discussion and posting results here for you and others to see.

Paul

KR5OG

• Thanks Paul. My sentiments exactly. I know Flex EQ are outstanding and there is no real need for anything else, yet many users do have mixers as part of the shack and not only to use multiple mics (which is something I wish to achieve). I’m a bit more limited as my radio is a 6300, which only the front mic connection.

in my mine I’m thinking not only improving sound for my radios (Flex 6300, Yaesu FT-991 and others) but also to centralize various mics to alternate between the radios without having to do it physically.

I’ll be looking up to your updates.

Santiago, HI8SMX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.