Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SKCC Logger integration

Has anyone had success using the SKCC Logger with their Flex? If so, what settings did you use?

Answers

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

I got it working

• K0COL
    K0COL Member ✭✭
    What radio did you set it up for.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

I use Kenwood TS-2000 @ 9600 baud - works fine

73 Paul w2eck

• K0COL
    K0COL Member ✭✭

Thanks Paul I'll give it a try.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Yeah....that does it

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭

SLCC Logger set up for Flexradio 6600

Radio Model : Kenwood TS-2000

Use the COM Port# Defined in SmartSDR CAT

9600 Baud

Parity : none

Stop Bits : 1

RTS Checked

Save Radio name ie FlexRadio 6600

• KT9X
    KT9X Member
    edited June 2022
    I'm ok with all the settings (and I am BRAND NEW to using a Mac) but I'm stuck on the comport. I've tried setting up comports in CAT CONTROL in the SDR software, but the SKCC Logger never sees anything except the debug and Bluetooth-incoming-port, whatever that is. Can anyone help me figure how to get the SKCC Logger to find a port? or maybe I'm not setting one up correctly in the SDR Software??? It says the port number is 5002. I'm used to things like "com 5". Thanks! Flip KT9X
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Do you have virtual port emulation running on your computer?

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

I have a Flex 6600 successfully working with SKCC Logger. In the list of Radios, Flex is not a choice. So pick Kenwood TS2000. I have 9600 baud, parity none, stop bit 1. Try it and see how it works.

73 Paul w2eck

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

No, I just created a separate CAT port, in SDR CAT for SKCC Logger

73 Paul w2eck

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

You might check your settings on your computer to see if the com port you created is listed, if you haven’t already done so…

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

I just looked this up..MAC settings are completely different for SKCC Logger....

Go to the HELP tab on SKCC Logger.....select User Guide...Click on Getting Started...Click on Configuring Radio...

Scroll down until until you see "Click on Comm Ports", That paragraph will have a link to the instructions for the MAC...

Adding A New Radio Configuration - Mac

If your radio is a supported radio (ie one listed in the "Radio Model" dialog) and has a serial interface, then it should show as an available serial port under "COM Port".

Note the name will be what the operating system assigned. In the example below the device usbserial-AB0KJ4JA is an FTDI usb serial device, with the indicated serial number.

If your device is not showing up in the list you can see if the computer sees the device by selecting About This Mac then select System Report... then Hardware then select USB. A list of all usb devices the computer sees is shown. If the serial device is not seen then you need a driver and should contact the manufacturer. Many FTDI serial cables work without the need of any driver being installed.

If your radio is a Flex radio, or is not connected via a serial cable, but instead has a "cat" interface available via a tcp port you can connect to it. One way is to use the command "socat" from a terminal window.

• Install the "brew" package manager (see https://brew.sh)
    • brew install socat
    • To see the manual for socat, in a terminal window do: man socat

• Here is an example run of socat for a Flex 6000 series radio:
    • socat -d -d pty,cfmakeraw,mode=666,link=${HOME}/Documents/SKCCLogger/Radio-flex TCP4:localhost:5001Here is an explanation of what the above command does:
    • socat - runs the socat program
    • -d -d - Prints fatal, error, warning, and notice messages.
    • pty,cfmakeraw,mode=666,link=${HOME}/Documents/SKCCLogger/Radio-flex
    • pty -- create a pseudo terminal
    • cfmakeraw -- sets the created device in "raw" mode
    • mode=666 -- make the new device read/write for everyone
    • link=${HOME}/Documents/SKCCLogger/Radio-flex -- create a symbolic link to the pseudo terminal in the user's SKCCLogger directory, named "Radio-flex"
    • TCP4:localhost:5001 -- This says to create a IPv4 address localhost at port 5001
    • Note that if the smartsdr application were running on another system in the network one could specify that ip address in place of localhost.
    • Port 5001 is used because thats the port the user specified in smartsdr for radio CTAT commands.
    • Pseudo devices created in the users SKCCLogger directory starting with the name "Radio-" are listed in the "COM Port" pulldown. In the example below the item "Radio-flex" is selected.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

FYI....You will have to set up a CAT TCP Port in SmartSDR CAT....

• KT9X
    KT9X Member
    edited June 2022
    I appreciate all the comments. I HAVE setup a comport (or think I have using SMARTSDR Cat) on my Mac - the "instructions" you so kindly posted are far above my MAC pay grade. I had NO issues setting up SDR on my windows machine, with Slice and Skimmer and N1MM and everything else. With this Mac (my first ever Mac) I don't even know how to find what "ports" it can see and all the searching has led me nowhere. I did spend many days attempting to get this on my own before coming here - so it's not from lack of trying and I have 3 decades of computer experience (all PC). So all that experience it worthless in this Mac environment. And from the replies here, I'm guessing I'll have to zoom with someone who's been there and done that to get this accomplished. I might just go back to "disconnected" logging and not worry about it. MacLogger connected just fine. Why all the hoops for SKCCLogger?? Just different programming I guess. Again, I appreciate EVERY reply and will ATTEMPT to accomplish some of it over the next weeks, as I try to figure all that out. I did read all the help files a few days ago and never saw the part you posted, so I sure appreciate that -- 73 de KT9X, Flip
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Yeah, I have never used a MAC and I have no idea why the setup is different……when you set up CAT, did you set it up as a serial port or tcp port?

I assume you are using SmartSDR for MAC….and not running Windows emulation.

The link below is specific to SmartSDR for MAC…..you might have better luck there….also, have you tried the SKCC user group?

Good Luck, if I discover anything on the subject I will post it here.

Tim, Wa5yom

https://community.flexradio.com/categories/smartsdr-for-mac

• KT9X
    KT9X Member
    Thank you, WA5YOM. After learning a heck of a lot about how to install brew and then installing socat and then changing the path and then running the script....I FINALLY have SKCC LOGGER working with the MAC SmartSDR software. Whew! That was a lot for a first time Mac user -- but I want to thank you for the information. I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!! 73 es tnx, KT9X, Flip
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Great….glad it is working….may catch you on the sprint one day…

Tim

Wa5yom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.